Author Topic: Truoil: How to apply?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Truoil: How to apply?
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:25:04 pm »
How do you guys apply truoil? I am terrible at finishes and need an easy way to get a nice smooth finish. I heard truoil is pretty simple so I bought a bottle

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Truoil: How to apply?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:53 pm »
I pour a little bit in a gatorade lid and use a cosmetic wedge to apply thin coats.  That's the best way I have tried.  I got runs when I used my finger to apply it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:06 pm »
Lately I've been using spray-on tru oil.  You can put on thin coats without runs, and it only takes about a minute to spray on a coat.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:11:01 pm »
I have been using a sponge brush that I picked up at the buck store, 6 for $1
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:20:28 pm »
Lee, I've never used truoil - but I think it isn't that far away from my homemade mixture.
This is what I do:
Apply a few drops on the limbs
Rub in the stuff with fingers and your hands, it gets hot and soaks deeply in the wood
After that massage wait about 10 min til the surface gets sticky
Now rub quickly with tissue the sticky rest off, use about 3 sheets of tissue for each limb to prevent sticking on
And voila you get a super nice smooth finish

I repeat the process 6-8x, let it cure inbetween for at least one day
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »
I use my finger to apply Tru-Oil. I pour a little in a jar top and seal the original bottle as soon as possible and store it on its top.
 I dip the tip of my finger in the Tru-Oil and rub it into the wood putting down a thin layer. When it dries rub it down with 0000 steel wood and add the second coat. Continue until you have good coverage. Usually about 5 or 6 coats.
 Tru-Oil is self leveling and dries ultra shiny. For hunting bows I add a quick spray of satin pole to cut the shine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:07:12 pm »
I use a finger finish for the first coat... The wood usually sucks it up. Every coat after I apply with my finger then go over it with a rag that moistened with tru-oil. I do this to prevent runs. The stuff likes to get crust around the lid and will thicken up if the lid it's left off. To get the most life out of it... Here's a good tip. Don't remove the foil from bottle. Poke two small holes with a nail into the foil. When your done using it my make sure you wipe everything clean

Jon
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:10:55 pm by straightarrow »

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:27:59 pm »
ok thanks guys! Does it wash off of fingers ok?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:50:01 pm »
A little mineral spirits or turpentine will get it off. It is basically linseed oil and Japan dryer
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 04:03:41 pm »
How long does it take to dry?

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:11 pm »
It takes a few hours to dry. I usually tip it onto my palm (without letting it pour) and then rub that vigorously onto the limb until I need more finish or I'm done.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 04:44:59 pm »
I use a rag. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 04:45:13 pm »
If the humidity is high it takes longer to dry. Usually I give the first coat over night before adding a second coat.. After the first coat it will usually dry in a few hours. I will sometimes do 2 coats in a day if the humidity is down.
Some of the oily tropical woods won't let it cure. A coat of shellac with help to seal it first before adding the Tru-Oil or any solvent type finish for that matter.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »
Thanks, Lee, for starting this thread.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 09:59:38 pm »
No problem Knoll! Its been a help for me, I got my first coat on a bow tonight and it looks nice and smooth. I will post the bow when its finished but I work pretty slow.