Author Topic: My only regret...  (Read 6787 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: My only regret...
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 02:23:02 pm »
Too short for the wood Pat. The. Stave was in 45-50% humidity for a few months.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 02:29:40 pm »
How far were you drawing it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 03:46:17 pm »
28.5"
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 09:37:37 am »
Remember now, in another thread the Nay Sayers said what you just accomplished is a no-no, won't work and is very bad to even try.

My findings with heat and tempering have been very good as well. I had one BBO with sorry, chalky wood that had a ton of string follow and shot like a dog. After tempering the wood it lost all the string follow, gained a pound or two but still shot a bit sluggishly. My findings is that softer, less dense wood doesn't gain as much in performance with heat as that nice, dense, buttery osage.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:44:23 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:22 am »
Trying never hurt a thing Eric, that's my feeling anyhow. I have done as much tinkering with unsatisfactory bows as I have "good" ones. That alone has allowed me to learn to do a lot of things I was told are no-no's.

I forgot to mention I tempered the bow and was done by 10:20 am. By 2:30 pm. I was in the yard shooting it with a BIG grin on my face. The aforementioned tinkering has taught me I can do that as well, with equally great results as waiting 1-7 days. Ive done it both ways dozens of times to arrive at that deduction.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:48 am »
Man Chris you are just an out of control outlaw. ;) :) :) :) Looking forward to the pictures. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:23 am »
I usually temper mine when I get it floor tillered. They are usually within 10 pounds at that point, you know what I mean.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
sounds like a nice bow congrats,

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 12:28:43 pm »
I forgot to mention I tempered the bow and was done by 10:20 am. By 2:30 pm. I was in the yard shooting it with a BIG grin on my face. The aforementioned tinkering has taught me I can do that as well, with equally great results as waiting 1-7 days. Ive done it both ways dozens of times to arrive at that deduction.

I'll take your word for that Chris but I'm still gonna wait a day before doing anything.  You know when you touch the stove and burn your fingers you just don't want to touch that stove again.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »
I understand Marc. One day I may have a blow up or crack open, then Ill wait. But Im hard headed as they come and need to have personal reasons before I change my ways. I learned to make bows in a very unorthodox way for that very same reason.

Offline Roy

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »
Hard headed? No way, not Pearl Drums.. :) LOL
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:19:40 pm by Roy »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 09:49:09 pm »
I understand Marc. One day I may have a blow up or crack open, then Ill wait. But Im hard headed as they come and need to have personal reasons before I change my ways. I learned to make bows in a very unorthodox way for that very same reason.

Sounds just like me  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:47 am »
It didn't take set for some reason or another. I know exactly why it took set, hence the reason I stopped drawing it shortly into the build and tempered it. This bow and thread wasn't a mistake in any way.

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 08:10:37 am »
I think the point Mike is making is that your bow and Eric's don't really have much in common.