Author Topic: ? about older fiberglass bows  (Read 2500 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

? about older fiberglass bows
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:34:59 pm »
hi guys  i got my hands on a  old red wing  hunter  recurve bow last year it was in grate looking condishon. no cracks in the fiberglass or any thing like that . i shoot it myself for a day to make sure every thing was OK with it.then i   gave it to my girl frands dad last year for chrismas.  he has been useing it  often  he took it out yesterday to shoot  after stringing it up and now the string  keeps popping off .so he sent it to me to look at and see if it might be the string .but i see  the top limb has bad limb twist  and the string trys to pop off every time you start to draw the bow  just a fue inch's . my ? is there any way to fix this . or is it  a walhanger now  the BOw is in grate shape to be  an older one .ill post pics up as soon as i can take sum .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ? about older fiberglass bows
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:49:47 pm »
Dad must have stood it in a corner on its tip. You can remove the twist usually if not too bad. Mullet uses hot water and a little torqueing I think but maybe you should wait and see if he chimes in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:52 pm »
thanks pat b   any tips on how to posably fix this well be grate  he love this bow and its his only one . as soon as i can ill get sum pics up  of it  .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:58:00 pm »
PM Mullet. He will tell you how.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:16:28 pm »
It sounds like a pretty bad twist if it keeps popping off, but it's fixable. On top of that a lot of people love those Redwing Hunters.

If yo have a hair dryer, heat the limb running it back and forth till it is a little warm. Do not get it hot. Then hold the bow and twist the limb in the opposite direction of the bad twist and hold it fr about a minute or until cool. String the bow backwards and let it sit over night and string it the next day and see if that helps. If it is still twisted try it again. Something else that will cause limb twist besides stinging it wrong is standing it up against the wall for long periods. It's best just to leave it strung, doesn't hurt a thing.

In extreme cases I've left one strung backwards for 6 months and it was good to go. If you don't want the bow I'll trade you something for it :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »
thanks  for the info mullet ill be trying this on it win i get home .and well be making a new string for it as soon as i can get sum sinew from the hobby store.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 12:19:24 pm »
Just don't use FastFlight string. The old Glass can't handle it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?