Author Topic: Congratulations to simson for winning September Backed BOM!!!!  (Read 3994 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
September Backed BOM

Simson from Bavaria, Germany won this month’s Backed Bow of the month with this spectatular build out of a storm broken German ERC branch.  This bow is truly a masterpiece and one to be admired as it is strung and shot.  Congratulations Simson!!  You are truly a master of your craft. 
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48559.0.html

Here are some of the comments from Simson on his bow PURPLE HAZE.  Some months ago a friend asked wether I would like to have a branch of a juniper which he had to cut away as it was broken down by a storm. And of corse I did. He brought a piece, kinda a quarter of a stave with that broken storm violation on one end. The sap was creamy, the heart wood light brown. I laid it in a corner of my shop to let it season. Some weeks ago it came in my mind again and I examined the piece, thought it looks a lot like ERC. But that color and it was grown in Germany … . I made a fresh cut with my hacksaw and saw the purple color – ERC indeed, German ERC. Unbelievable, it grows here.  This bow is made out of 15 components:
3 pieces ERC (2x slats, 1x handle glue up)
5 pieces boo (1x backing, 2x powerlam, 2x tip overlay)
6 pieces horn (2x tip overlay, 2x2 lams string bridges)
1 piece of brass sheet (arrow pass)

This bow is very snappy with a good load already at brace. It looks a bit fancy, but was really fun to carve out.  length ntn 60”, mass: 360 grams = 12,7 oz, 46#/ 27”

I usually don't name my bows, this one of the few were I did.  Looking at her knotty purple wood she remembers me on some stuff when I was young .... so, I couldn't resist she got the name: PURPLE HAZE!
This bow, this post and this bowyer had far to many comments to list here.  This is just a sampling of the comments from our forum member: 

Jaw on floor... outstanding!  Incredible craftsmanship with some beautiful media.  I need another half an hour just to take it in; going back to the pics now    Well done!  John D
speechless, just friggin speechless. unfrigginbelieveable, thats gotta b the sweetest bow i've ever friggin seen, FRIG!  stixnstones
Tip to tip that is impressive!!! Wow  Klondike. 
if I didn't see it I wouldn't of believed  it...nice job......impressive to say the least...gut
Wow! I don't know what else to say, but wow!  I probably would have said thank you for the cedar and then cut it into riser blocks. No way would I have come up with that!  Well done, my hats off to you sir! Patrick
I would give an awful lot to meet you in person, walk through your shop and hold some o your bows while I pick your brain! You sir are a true craftsman, I hope to get close to your level of skill some day. Thank you for posting  Neolithicman
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Congratulations to simson for winning September Backed BOM!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:45:49 pm »
Congrats again. Definitely a grand slam!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:03 am »
Congrats,very nice job. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:56 am »
Without a doubt a masterpiece of a bow, Congrats Simon. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:33:33 pm »
2 bow win!  to get the "gordie howe hat trick" don't you have to fight someone now?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:57:36 pm »
2 bow win!  to get the "gordie howe hat trick" don't you have to fight someone now?

Ha, dunno fight anyone goat, but it is a great win for me this month for sure
Simon
Bavaria, Germany