Author Topic: Bow Build Help.  (Read 5368 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Bow Build Help.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »
Where in the interior are you?

Offline jayman448

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 11:18:13 pm »
Thanks DC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:37 am »
thanks for that website link. it says there should be elm, hemlock, ash, and a few types of maple. only thing is in 20 years I have never seen any of that round here. lol. I saw an ash once but it was in a guys front yard. maybe I just got to look harder?

Back in April I would only be able to tell you what Siberian elm, Russian olive and Black Locust were. I now know I am surrounded by Green Ash, China Berry, White Oak, and Utah Juniper. And I can Identify lots more. It is funny what you don't see when it isn't important to you. Having also started knapping, while driving I am either looking up, or down. Shocking I haven't had an accident yet.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 02:51:46 am »
Back in April I would only be able to tell you what Siberian elm, Russian olive and Black Locust were. I now know I am surrounded by Green Ash, China Berry, White Oak, and Utah Juniper. And I can Identify lots more. It is funny what you don't see when it isn't important to you. Having also started knapping, while driving I am either looking up, or down. Shocking I haven't had an accident yet.  >:D

yea that's another thing I goto learn is knapable stone. only know of one place "arrow stone park" I need waaaaay more rock..... three good stones yielded me maybe 11 points. not quite a pro I guess XD

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 03:05:56 am »
there is for sure rocky mountain juniper around you. one of my favorite woods.
probably douglas and/or vine maple too.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 03:22:25 am »
jumiper? really? that's good? how do you find a clear stave????

Offline jayman448

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 03:38:06 am »
government site says no juniper, no hemlock... not really anything. like I said basically birch. ill look out for vine maple. I know we have saskatoons but they grow only knee high. idek what ocean spray is

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 03:55:40 am »
I know we have saskatoons but they grow only knee high. idek what ocean spray is

I thought the same thing about Saskatoons but down here(the Island) they grow 30ft(10meters) tall and 5"(15 cm) dia. I was really surprised. Google Ocean spray. It probably doesn't grow big enough where ever it is you are.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »
LOL, I may have gotten 11 points out of 20 pounds.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.