Author Topic: Murder is a bad name  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Zuma

Murder is a bad name
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:59:29 pm »
Crows seemed to be the culprit plucking up my corn shoots this spring.
Many members commented on their craftiness.
I just watched this on PBS. It's not new but if you haven't seen it,
you are in for a treat imo. I hope the link works and you have time to watch and enjoy.
LOL why did they spell watch that way?

Any help with this link will be totally appreciated. Zuma
Wach A Murder of Crows Online | Full Episode | Nature | PBS
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Murder is a bad name
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:56 pm »
I watched it also for the 3rd time and have seen something new each time. Making tools, figuring out problems and making a tool to fix it, facial recognition and their ability to communicate events and people recognition to other crows. Pretty damn incredible...and we think we are so smart.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:51 am »
I was out in the field last weekend and there was a group around.  I was paying close attention to them and heard all kinds of sounds that you wouldn't normally associate.  One was sitting up high in a pine tree looking down at me and making a sound and movement with it's body that I've never seen before.  They are interesting.
1’—>1’

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:30:00 am »
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:43:13 am »
I keep thinking about catching a youth and raising it as a pet.I find the more I learn about them the worse I feel about how many I shot as a kid for eating all the dog food out the bowls.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:22:34 pm »
There is a TED Talk on training crows to use a vending machine.  The guy's ultimate idea was to train 6 wild crows to pick up scraps of garbage in a sports stadium, drop them into a special waste recepticle with an electronic eye, and the trashcan would reward the crow with a small food pellet of good quality. 

Crows are known to teach other crows outside their immediate family skills that they have learned.  In time, with no additional effort, those six crows could train the local population to clean a stadium after the people leave....for PEANUTS!

At the Black Hills Raptor Center, we have plans to eventually obtain a young crow.  One thing I have heard from person after person that has trained them.  Stay on your toes, do not stop teaching new behaviors, do not settle for the same behavior over and over.  Or else the crow will get bored, skip to the end, demand payoff, and ruin everything!

At the Black Hills Parrot Welfare Center in Belle Fourche they have a hybrid African raven, African crow.  His name is Murphy.  One of his favorite games it to have you select a pebble from the driveway and toss it back into the driveway after showing it to him.  He will sift gravel until he finds it and returns it to you.  I was doing that with him one day when I was called away suddenly.  When I came back a week later, Murph' flipped his food bowl over, pulled up my pebble and brought it to me cawing wildly!  Greg says he wondered why Murph' had adopted a pet rock for the week.  And get this: MURPHY DOES NOT PARTICULARLY LIKE ME.  I have apologized for what he and I call the "carabiner incident", but he has regarded me suspiciously ever since. 

If the elephant ever does forget, the crow will be there to remind him.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:29:18 pm »
Carabiner incident?  Elaborate?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »
I was helping clean his enclosure and accidently dropped a small carabiner.  It bounced off his head.  He still thinks I did it on purpose.

I still feel bad about it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:42 pm »
Its ok if im laughing right?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:41:38 pm »
THAT WAS SIX FLIPPIN' YEARS AGO!  Crow can hold a bloody grudge, I tell you.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59:21 pm »
Wow.... thats insane. He just remembers he doesnt like you but I bet he doesnt remember why. Grab a carabiner and place it over his head. His reaction will tell you if he remembers.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 12:04:26 am »
Wow.... thats insane. He just remembers he doesnt like you but I bet he doesnt remember why. Grab a carabiner and place it over his head. His reaction will tell you if he remembers.
LOL it's rather academic. The crows haven't to this moment evolved a vocalization
to infer words like Carabiner. Jw will always be under observation by feather fur and fin.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 12:13:04 am »
And skin......

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 12:26:57 am »
Starting to think maybe I gave up the tinfoil helmet a little prematurely.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 10:23:21 am »
Couple of years ago I was working in northern manitoba.we had a bbq at our work trailer and made some muscles for lunch.some juice filled were left out side and when we came out after lunch a large raven(thompson turkey) was pecking at them.the bird flew off and my friend grabbed the plate to dispose of,just then the raven dive bombed him and made contact as he flew by with a loud squack! He wasn't hurt but I think he had to check his shorts!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.