Author Topic: Are belly cracks fatal?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Are belly cracks fatal?
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:36:42 am »
I'm loving working in the elm.  Unfortunately  I've yet to make a working bow without some issue BUT the wood I harvested was sawn from a banana shaped log.

I'm using it as practice to get a sense of working with steam bending and raw hide backing.  Loving the possibilities.  Steam bends like a dream.

So I straightened out a board and spliced it.  Then sawed out a straighter blank for a recurve project.  One side was just in from a side I tried to split when it was a log.  No split but bent my steel wedge.   Hoped it was slight side damage and lifted fibers.

When I sawed the belly thickness I found a pair of belly cracks that had been hidden.  I went ahead and tried to put in a Pearl Drums style bend and dang it it came out awesome! Almost 5/8" bent around a quart paint can radius for 90* bend.

So I went full on denial and  tb3 glued the cracks and clamped them.

Is there some scenario where a belly crack is not necessarily fatal?  Can this be fixed or patched to get a shooter?  Possibly leave it thick and give it a rawhide collar wrap?  Or sinew?  I'm not as keen on the Torge's patches. But it might work in this wood.????

My crack runs 1/2 way across the belly at a diagonal.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:33:19 am by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Are belly cracks fatal?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:26:06 am »
I think you're going to have to file them out and glue in some dowels of the same wood, bonus points if you can make the dowel from the same tree.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:50:08 am »
You probably never will make a working selfbow with out some issues, that is the nature of the beast,been doing it for years and haven't yet,just have to over come them when you can.Still looking for that prefect piece of wood. :)  Love to see some pictures of the cracks,how deep are they/where they are at and such before I make any suggestions. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:50 pm »
If these belly cracks run along the limbs then they can be fixed easily enough.  Across the limbs not so much so
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:02:57 am »
Did a dog bone rawhide wrap  and an upholstery wrap on the other.  Seems to be holding but the bow came out 25#.  Won't want the bow now.  It is set up left handed.