Author Topic: More pics of Native American bow  (Read 3171 times)

Offline randman

Re: More pics of Native American bow
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »
Actually the wood grain looks like (aged) oak to me (right from the first look at it). Which puts it back in the realm of the West Coast IMHO (Gambel Oak). The artwork does look sort of indo but also resembles stylistically the decorative painted arts from around the time period 1900...  Did the Modocs use Gambel Oak as one of their bow woods either traditionally or for "tourist goods"? Ive seen it documented that other West Coast tribes did (Chinook, Yakama/Warm Springs, Nez Perce).
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 07:40:34 pm »
California is famous for the many kinds of oak trees. Judging by the lack of any string follow in such a short bow it's not likely it was ever really used. The modoc assimilated into the world of white ranchers etc long before the turn of the century. Some Modoc(capt Jacks) band was relocated to Indian territory on Oklahoma after his uprising(one of the biggest ass kickings the military sustained in the Indian wars). I have no doubt this is an old bow, but without any documentation it is nothing more than a mystery. If you want to sell it for fair market value to someone who will appreciate it contact me.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »
Reminds me of a story I read a few weeks ago about a fed crack down in the four corners area in a small town, totally tore apart the community there. The only doctor in town, his wife was collecting artifacts as a hobby and sold one to a undercover informative. The doc got swept up in the legal mess and he committed suicide, it devastated the town. The doc was a big part of the community, had very good relations with everyone in the town. Tragic story, and needless to say the feds aren't welcome in the town anymore.

Posting that online(unless you are native American), sounds like a good way to attract unwanted attention.... Put a tinfoil hat on my head.

Thats a nice bow by the way  :)

The only difference between that doctor and a common graverobber was whose grandmother was in the ground.  It was a felony, he knew it, and he made decent money off it for decades.  His kind justify themselves claiming no one is hurt by it, but the exact opposite is true. We are all harmed because it is everyone's shared heritage that is stolen for the gain of a few.  If you disagree with my opinion (which happens to fall pretty close to the law), send me the locations of your loved one's graves along with an inventory of any jewelry or other valuables that may have been interred with them. Please do not forget to research dental records in case any gold fillings may be in Memaw's grimacing jaws. 

Hope you don't think I am point the finger at you burtonridr, just wanted the other side of the story to get some light, too.  And I apologize for hijacking the thread, too. 

For the O.P., consider sending an inquiry to the University of Missouri in Columbia Missouri.  Get in touch with their Museum of Anthropology, it houses Dr. Charles Grayson Collection.  It is THE largest collection of primitive archery equipment in the world.  Google it, takes about 30 seconds to find their contact information.  I have asked for assistance with researching several bows in their collection and they have invariably provided me with EVERY detail I have asked for, and more.  It is rare for research professionals and curators to extend that level of courtesy to the average yokel on the street, and absolutely unheard of to do it with the courtesy they extend. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.