Author Topic: Introducing myself and asking for advise  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Webradbury

Introducing myself and asking for advise
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:19 pm »
Hello,

I have wanted to build a bow since boyhood and since finding this forum, I have decided to attempt it. My father bought me a copy of Saxton Pope's book and that pushed me over the edge! I am located in eastern NC and have been researching material and reading threads about bow building and wood species.  So today, I have been driving around checking on different wood sources and have found some good trees with potential. I can get my hands on all the Cherry, Hickory, and Pecan that I can handle. I have wanted to build an Osage bow since forever but these trees are rare where I live, I've only seen one in my whole life a few counties over and I didn't pay too much attention to it not knowing what it was at the time. 

Now for the topic I need advise on:

Three years ago, a tree in my small town was blown over by hurricane Irene. The tree is right beside the road (across the ditch) and beside a tractor driveway to some barns/farmland. When it blew over, one of the limbs split and exposed the wood which I noticed was reddish orange and quite differ nt to wood in my area. I never stopped to look at the tree and from the road driving by I told myself it was a large Red Elm which is fairly common around town.  long story short, I stop today on my way home and now I'm 99% sure it is an Osage Orange. I say 99% because I could not see any thorns on it. The tree has a good portion of its roots exposed but is very much alive.

I will be asking the farmer as soon as I find him if he minds me cutting the tree, which i don't think he will mind. If he says I can have it, what do I do with it as far as staves? Cut into logs and seal the ends or split the logs and seal?  I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I felt like I should ask someone who knows.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Introducing myself and asking for advise
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:11:09 pm »
When I am cutting and hauling the wood any distance, I will seal the ends of the entire log and then split it later.  I split mine into staves as soon as I can, late in the day that I cut them as a rule.  If your gonna split them right away into staves then seal them then.  As long as you get them sealed shortly after cutting them, either way your good.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:00:43 pm »
You only want to seal the ends, and the back once its de-barked. You want to leave the sides bare 'cause the moisture needs somewhere to escape. You probably already knew that but I wanted make sure.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 06:55:04 am »
Excellent!  I'm going to sneak away from work today to take some pics of the tree.

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:25:42 am »
Well...I can't figure out how to post the pics

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:29:15 am »
Welcome to PA.  Sounds like you are in for a long ride and enjoy it.  Start squirreling away the wood now as a year passes real quick and you will just be starting to hit a stride.  Make an effort to meet people and "pass it on" and you'll be in good company and find many resources. 

Good luck!

P.s.  trouble posting pictures is usually the result of their being too large.  Make them smaller in a program like microsoft paint.
1’—>1’

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 11:43:36 am »
Welcome to the obsession!  Try using photo bucket also. You can sign up for free. US the share button and copy the "IMG" link then past it into your post. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 04:08:47 pm »
I use "Gimp" which is a free program you can download.  I like it because it's versatile and pretty easy to use.  They have modified it lately and the newer version is a little different but still pretty easy to get around on.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 04:54:04 pm »
It's much nicer I you can figure a way to post them directly to the site. Then they're here forever. Have you noticed some old posts that say "picture not available" or some such. Those are pictures that were posted through a hosting site such as PhotoBucket. Sometime down the road you clean your Photobucket account and all the pictures disappear from here. Then future boyers are left wondering what you were talking about. Rant mode OFF. ;D

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 07:19:05 am »
Ok...figured out the photo posting problem and used photobucket.  I would have rather posted directly but can't figure it out.  Here is the tree.  On its side but still living, which amazes me because most of the roots were pulled up when it blew over three years ago.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:23:50 am by Webradbury »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 08:58:15 am »
Looks like Bodark!

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:41:21 am »
First thing you wanna do, is try to find some help. You're in for quite a job. Make sure you have all the tools and supplies you need before you get started. Chainsaw, wedges, sledge hammers, something to seal the ends (shellac, Elmer's glue, paint, whatever) I would cut the logs to length and generously seal the ends. You may want to do a limb at a time instead of dropping the entire tree. After you got the  logs, split them into staves and seal the ends again. Do not debark the staves. I season all my Osage with the bark on. I season mine for two years. Osage is not a common tree in my area either so when I get one..... I do my best not to mess it up. Good luck to you and welcome to PA, brother!!!

Jon (straightarrow)

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 09:42:28 am »
What you have here is called "Lotsawork". It makes outstanding blisters, and provides long hours of backaches and mild contusions. I've heard that this wood can also be shaped into bows with some general knowledge. Have fun!! ;D

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:46 am »
Yeah... its going to be some work...IF I can get the tree. Still have to talk to the farmer. I'll keep ya'll posted. Going to try to find him tomorrow. Thanks for the replies and assistance.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 02:35:56 pm »
yes there are some bows in there,,,, now you will know that the pricey stave you saw ,, was not so pricy,, :)