Author Topic: cheap bow  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Jax666

cheap bow
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:05:13 am »
sportsmansguide/product/index/rudder-bows-archery-handmade-hickory-longbow?a=1194509&criteo=3&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=rmktg&utm_campaign=Banner+Remarketing&utm_content=criteo3
Sportsman's Guide has these and 3 Rivers has a similar one. I have seen a lot of criticism about Rudder Bows, but this looks like a good price  for a basic bow. With SG some days the shipping is free. I keep toying with the idea of building my own, but the cost would be close by the time I add in extra tools etc, or if I can find a nice piece of hickory locally I could build a board bow.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:41:45 am by Marc St Louis »

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: cheap bow
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:16:10 am »
Menards has 1"x2"x6' hickory boards for $6.99. An inexpensive rasp cost less than $20. Pocket knife or broken scissors for scraping. Chainsaw file for $2.99....thats about $30 to get started Bro and if you already have any of these tools it is cheaper  ;).... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Jax666

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:33:45 am »
Menards has 1"x2"x6' hickory boards for $6.99. An inexpensive rasp cost less than $20. Pocket knife or broken scissors for scraping. Chainsaw file for $2.99....thats about $30 to get started Bro and if you already have any of these tools it is cheaper  ;).... Brian
Can I scrape with a pocket knife? I have Sure-forms, Micro-planes, a flexcut draw knife, I do not have a tillering thing or spring scales for tillering or testing draw weight.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 09:52:05 am »
Yeah you can scrape with a pocet knife, you can make a tillering stick or tree and use a bathroom scale to checi weight
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:04:40 am »
I did all my early bows with no scale or tillering stick.  Just a drawknife and a Green River knife for a scraper.  That was it, outside of a little sandpaper.  The other tools are good to have, but not entirely necessary.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:48:11 am »
A bow scale is only good for other people. Make the bow so it is comfortable for you to shoot. Who cares how much weight!
You need very few tools to build wood bows. A rasp, a scraper and you are good to go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 11:18:41 am »
sportsmansguide/product/index/rudder-bows-archery-handmade-hickory-longbow?a=1194509&criteo=3&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=rmktg&utm_campaign=Banner+Remarketing&utm_content=criteo3
Sportsman's Guide has these and 3 Rivers has a similar one. I have seen a lot of criticism about Rudder Bows, but this looks like a good price  for a basic bow. With SG some days the shipping is free. I keep toying with the idea of building my own, but the cost would be close by the time I add in extra tools etc, or if I can find a nice piece of hickory locally I could build a board bow.

:-X

I would also suggest trying to make your own bow.  Its a great feeling when you see that first arrow launched from a bow that you built.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 11:21:53 am »
Where are you?  Try to find a mentor.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:55:00 pm »
Pert near everyone in here would be willing to share their experience and their shop with you to help get you started.  We are not stingey people like that! 

Parnell makes a good point.  Where are you?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 12:19:40 am »
I disgree with everyone.....buy it....then see why you should build your own :)....sure it will make a bow, if that's what you want at this point, then do it. There is nothing like building your own first bow from begining to end though. Some people take different ways to end up here building their own, and buying one seeing it up close may help you...and maybe not. Good luck whatever you decide. :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 08:51:11 am »
I live in Central IL. I kind of lost the weather for bow building until it warms up. I see some companies sell not just kits, but partially shaped billets. Are theya good buy? I need to get to Pekin Hard wood to see what they have. The wood at  Menard's were horrible. I found a maple with straight grain, but it was badly twisted. I am trying for around 35 lbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:57 am »
Contact Gary Davis at Rattlestick Bows. He'll fix you up with a nice, floor tillered osage stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:42:23 am »
That's the nice thing about having a heated shop over the holidays. I have osage piled in corners here and there and if you can find the time to drive over Im sure we could get you headed in the right direction. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 10:46:31 am »
Id take Scott up on that offer if your able. He is a class act.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 10:56:53 am »
Yup...send Scott a pm n get with him...I've made bows using nothing but a hatchet, from felling,to shaping,to tillering,n even cutting/notching in side nocks ...a lil on the rough side(tool marks),but they'd shoot n kill,and an animal won't know the difference

Make your own...you'll regret buying that because building your own will still be in the back of your mind eating you up...it won't replace that feeling n make it go away.