Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Aaron H

What would you do?
« on: October 25, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »
I am just finishing up on an osage static recurve.  Tillering is 90% complete.  Problem is, that the curves don't exactly match as well as I would like them to.  If I set the bow on my bench at brace height, one limb curves about 3/4" more than the other. They are not radical curves but not real gentle ones either.  I am considering using some shortening and some dry heat to induce a little more curve into the 'weaker' limb. I think it would actually help even out my tiller, as that limb is pulling a tiny bit further than the limb with the heavier curve in it.  What do you think?

Offline wizardgoat

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »
You could try to cook it in the same form you used before.
Uneven hooks drive my ocd brain nuts, and there's a few bows in the corner as a result ;)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:20:41 pm »
Yea, my wife said "I don't see any difference".  Well I certainly do

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:45:54 pm »
Next time, try to make your tips the exact same thickness when you heat in your recurves. I think it plays a big part in this

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »
+1 wizardgoat

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:55:34 pm »
Well I was a little worried it might screw up my tiller, but I used some Crisco and some dry heat and it bent around just fine.  Tiller barely changed at all.  The thickness of both limbs were the same before I bent them (I like to check everything with my dial calipers), and I couldn't use the same caul because I had already added tip overlays.  Thanks anyways guys.