Author Topic: 65" Elb  (Read 1970 times)

Offline E. Jensen

65" Elb
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:03:15 pm »
Hey everyone just wanted to share what I've been working on and get some second opinions.  Small diamater irish yew, rawhide backed, horn tips, heat treated but I don't know how much of that remains after I've scraped on it some more.  I suspect some since its taken no set at all.  Pulling 44# at 20".  Shown is drawn at 8" and 20".  The 8" shot is to shot the natural crook/deflect in one of the mid limbs, but I think its still bending just fine there.  I'm pretty new to bow making so I'm very nervous and this wood has very sentimental value to me even though it is inferior to pacific and english yew.  I only dare draw to 20" at this point.  I worked on it today to thin out the outer limbs to get them to bend some.  They taper to about 1/2' maybe just under. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 65" Elb
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »
Keep on keeping on!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »
Looks like a challenging stave. Get the mid limbs and out working a bit more, looking good so far though!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:04:08 am »
Looks good so far. I see that natural dip about halfway up on the right limb, those can be problematic.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:42:27 am »
That looks great :).
If you want my critique...
Beware of leaving too much thickness where the knots are on the right limb.
Clean solid knots on the belly are actually tougher in compression than the rest of the wood so (IMO) don't need to be left thicker (Knots on the back need a bit extra).
What I'm saying is the right limb looks a tad stiff at those knots (mid limb) and a tad weak just left of 'em.
Right limb looks a tad stiffer than left... I think :laugh:
That looks a fine bit of Yew and I'm sure you'll get her back a lot further... just steady as you go.
I'd say maybe the outer half of each limb could flex more. It looks like the middle is flexing.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.