Author Topic: Bow Build Help.  (Read 5390 times)

Offline jayman448

Bow Build Help.
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:34 am »
Hey internet. I came across the biggest most beautiful willows ive ever seen. nine inches diameter, no branches for six or seven feet. its so tempting. I know the majority is that willow is not worth anything but I want to make bows with wood im my area. im limited to willow, or birch. so honestly : can I make a functioning (not perfect) bow from a large willow. what kind of shape, tiller, and length is recommended for this wood? please help. is it worth cutting down? I really want it to be !!!  :P

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Bow Build Help.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:24:06 am »
Although some south west tribes made willow bows with deflexed tips, it's gotta be the worst choice for bow wood. I'd go with the birch

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »
any birch ive ever seen always checks and fails

I guess poplar would be even worse eh??

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »
Any wood can make a bow if designed properly.
willow and poplar are probably the 2 worst choices though.
where do you live?
ive never made a birch bow, but I have seen a couple on here

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »
I know paper birch makes a good bow I've made one, even backed a black walnut with it much better choice than willow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:04:06 pm »
Never tried willow, but I would go 3" wide @ the fades by 68" long, Tim baker eiffel tower style.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »
bushboy I think if ya just have to make a willow bow go 3" wide and straight taper, atleast 72" ntn
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 08:51:58 pm »
The Willow we have up here quite often surprises me at how tough it is.  I've never made a bow out of it but I have been tempted more than once.  The older trees also have very attractive orange wood.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:17 pm »
I shot ryans poplar bow and I won't say it was the best bow i ever tried but I will say it was far from the worst. Maybe someone that knows how can post a link here to it. I personally would not spend the time on it but I also have access to all the osage I could ever want >:D

Offline jayman448

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:24 pm »
im in high elevation of the interior of BC Canada. pine, poplar, birch, and willow. two hour drive to hit red ceders and five hours to get maple. im kinda limited  :-\

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 07:01:49 am »
Depending on where at in BC you might have yew at least within a few hours from ya...I'd make that drive any day of the week ....serviceberry? Elderberry? Gotta be more than what ya mentioned out there that ya might not be aware of  ???

Offline paul craig

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »
You might try searching E-Flora BC: Electronic Atlas of the Plants of British Columbia for all trees common to your area. http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/DB_Query/RegionalDistricts.aspx
May be bow-making species native to your area that you're unaware of. I'm sure that if you posted the species you find on here, much helpful advice on bow suitability will come your way. Wondering where you are in BC?

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 05:51:20 pm »
idk im pretty darn high in elevation. and pretty darn poor for the gas money XD

Offline jayman448

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
thanks for that website link. it says there should be elm, hemlock, ash, and a few types of maple. only thing is in 20 years I have never seen any of that round here. lol. I saw an ash once but it was in a guys front yard. maybe I just got to look harder?

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:26 pm »
Look up Vine maple and Douglas Maple. Either of them make good bows. You might have Ocean Spray. Service Berry is called Saskatoon up here. Elm and Ash are good. As long as it's 1 1/2 inches(4cm) or more in diameter. Lots of shubby stuff is good.