Author Topic: vine maple vs sugar maple  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

vine maple vs sugar maple
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:10:09 pm »
is there much difference between the 2? i have lots of sugar maple and use it with good success, is it worth gettin my hands on some vine maple  or  is it about the same?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline david w.

Re: vine maple vs sugar maple
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:12:20 pm »
I have never used any maple But i from what i have read vine maple is better. The west coast indians made vinemaple with sinew backs under 3 ft.

Gordon will know this
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:41 pm »
I've used Vine Maple, Rock Maple and Broad-Leaf Maple with good luck.  Vine maple is going to be different from all other maples by a long shot.  The good staves are very dense.  You will undoubtedly find it burdensome to work but it turns into some very fine bows in patient hands. 

J. D.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:38:49 pm »
I've often wondered if Japanese maple wouldn't be a good bow wood. It seems very similar to vine maple in appearance, weight, and growth habit. Plus, it's planted all over the place as an ornamental. Anybody tried it?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:58:34 pm »
....Yes have used Japanese Maple Steve. EH !- its ok :P. I likes sugar maple better .Have never had vine maple ta use so dont know 'bout that..bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:35:56 pm »
Sugar or hard maple is typically very striaght grained hence pretty easy to work,
I have a vine maple stave that I've been working on
that I keep tossing in the corner of shame. Then I get it out again and work some more on it.
Its my only experience with it and I don't think its a prime stave, its cantakerous to say the least. If ya have your choice go for the hard maple if ya a challenge go with the vine maple.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 08:43:41 pm »
I have done only a handful of vine maples. It kind or reminds me of hickory. harder than sugar maple and seems to be more elastic and forgiving. It will tkae some big time set if the mc is not low. Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:02 pm »
It will tkae some big time set if the mc is not low

Be careful, vine maple will blow if the mc is too low (been there done that). It's not like hickory in that regard.

I agree with JD. Out of the maple family, vine maple is likely to be your best bet.
Gordon

duffontap

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:07:47 am »
It will tkae some big time set if the mc is not low

Be careful, vine maple will blow if the mc is too low (been there done that). It's not like hickory in that regard.

I agree with JD. Out of the maple family, vine maple is likely to be your best bet.

Gordon,
I think low mc is responsible for a lot of the failures I've had.  Just needs a short stop in the hot box. 

J. D.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:52:36 am »
Careful don't want to hurt anyones feelings...... :'( Vine maples probally only better if you can cut it where you live.....lol.   >:D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:55:52 am »
Ryan, I agree with you, I love sugar maple, especialy the stuff the grows in the northeast usa. I get very consistent good shooters out sugar maple. Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 02:47:38 am »
You're right Ryan. I'm only familiar with Douglas and Broad Leaf Maple and Vine Maple is much superior. I didn't know about Sugar Maple - I learned something new today. Thanks Badger!
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 03:07:27 am »
I think low mc is responsible for a lot of the failures I've had.  Just needs a short stop in the hot box.

I've heard stories about perfectly good VM bows blowing up when moved to dry climates like Arizona. Then a couple of years ago I installed A/C in my home and left one of my favorite bows for weeks in an air-conditioned room. When I pulled it back it shattered into several pieces. Now I am careful not to let my VM bows get too dry.
Gordon