Author Topic: "Second String" woods?  (Read 39911 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: "Second String" woods?
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2008, 01:09:52 pm »
Nope I'm at work.  I rarely surf at home.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

DCM

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2008, 02:36:09 pm »
Lennie,

No, I still got ma hare.  'An a hat offen eBay don't hardly meet the muster either.  Cuz my purpose is so that when knuckleheads such as yerself question my appearance, I can wax poetical about this extrodinarily gifted Austrian fellar I know up in Oreegon.  Take notice I ain't axed nobody in Missery about no hats, no unintended slights to some of the danged fine bowyers from outside of Hannibal.  Ain't you got some concrete to test boy.

Offline Badger

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »
Dave, I live right next to a place called Alpine village, autrians, germans etc hang out there. I will check their shops for a hat for you, Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
  Steve,I need your address
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2008, 06:26:52 pm »
Ok. I don't think that I've posted on this topic yet even though its been hashed and rehashed. Since I feel comfortable that I'm around friends and colleagues of like mind I'd like offer my two cents worth, albeit inexperienced that it is. You know what they say about people and opinions and how like portion of our anatomy everyones got one. So heres mine.
  Since I first became cognisant of wood bows (1yr ago) and decided that I wanted to learn to make my own (6mths ago) I have tried to read as much literature on bow making as I could get my hands on. The common theme I have noticed is that all the most well respected bowyers of our time at least ( modern primitive archery) hold Osage in very high esteem. I don't usually hear of anyone saying anything bad about it other than if you have to buy it its somewhat cost prohibitive. I can understand that although for right now  I don't have that problem because I have a nice stash in the shed curing as we speak. The other day as I was gazing fondly at a freshly debarked Osage stave leaning against the wall and was trying to visualize the bow that would be fashioned from it, I realized that I have a certain reverence for it. I am willing to break as many board bows as I need to in order to  learn well enough to then fashion a bow that will last for life. That is not to say that I am not putting as much into the board bows or that I am rushing their creation, its just that I think we can all agree that premium Osage has great value to those of us into Bowery. I also asked myself this question: If I could only have one wood bow to last me for the rest of my life, and my life depended on its performing year after year, what wood would it be? Well my answer is a hands down no brainer...Osage. I don't believe that anyone can doubt its durability and if you have ever seen a 100yr old Osage fence post, it is still standing after other woods have already gone by the wayside. When you consider how it apparently is not negatively effected by temperature and humidity changes and is tough enough that if you needed to use it to beat down an enemy combatant at close range I would have no concern about damaging it. Having said all that.... I am very interested in trying other woods as well. I think "wood is good"  and I have come to understand that proper design is essential to great performance so I will try and focus my attention on just getting better and make whatever bow I'm working on the best that it can be. I don't think I would classify myself as an Osage snob because I do love the beauty and diversity of the other woods but when push comes to shove and I get one shot at a bow wood for the rest of my life, my choice is Osage.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

DCM

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2008, 07:06:18 pm »
Steve,

Thanks, but no.  I got a fancy for an Austrian hat from a particular Austrian, to mark my having passed his way, and his mine.

I have the most misshapen stave leaning against the door of my shop I roughed up for you last year.  When I rummage my pile for Gordon I'll keep you in mind for a care package as well.  Still haven't found just the right billet for a cue blank.  Time does get away from a body, don't it.