Author Topic: nock/ string size  (Read 3971 times)

Offline DC

nock/ string size
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:20:09 pm »
Is there a standard diameter string size to shoot for? Right now I'm using 10 strands of FF and with the serving I have a string dia of right about .080". I make my arrows to fit but what happens if I try to shoot someone else's arrows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: nock/ string size
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:44 pm »
Different string materials and different string count will give you different string diameters.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 05:02:17 pm »
You can always keep a roll of black electricians tape handy. I've built up a serving for a one time use with it before. Works good in a pinch.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 05:04:36 pm »
I noticed that there was different sized serving thread available and thought that the reason was to arrive at a standard size with different combo's of stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »
I like shooting with a loose nock so I make self nocks to fit loose on the strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:57:56 pm »
Remember that I am green as grass in archery but I was under the impression that the nock should have just enough grip on the string so that when you pull the string the arrow came with it. This avoided pinching the arrow and lifting it off the bow. How do you avoid pinching the arrow?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
Well, while you're green switch to a tertiary grip.  I did and I like it a ton!  Takes a couple days to get totally used to it but I like it best.  That way you don't have to worry how the nock fits on the string.  ;)
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:57:03 pm »
I've never heard of a "standard" string diameter for traditional archery.  But, a trick I've learned from Rick Barbee is to use teflon tape and spiral wrap it under your serving to adjust your finished diameter.  Sometimes it one layer will do and sometimes it takes two wraps.  Works very well.  A little experimenting, and you'll be good to go.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:07:30 am »
DC, 35 years of shooting a bow and developing my own style of shooting. If you hook your fingers and don't squeeze them its not a problem.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:35:46 am »
The different serving sizes are so you can match the finished string diameter to the particular nocks you are using to achieve the fit you desire.
I have also heard that the "perfect" nock fit is so the arrow will hang on the string unsupported but will drop off if the string is lightly tapped.
Ultimately, the fit should be what you are comfortable with and what gives you the best results for your style of shooting.

Guy