Author Topic: Curved Tips  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Curved Tips
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 07:18:04 am »
No no no, what you need is Del' "Accuracy enhancing powder" O:)
You rub it over the back of the bow limbs.
There is no truth in the rumour that it's the same stuff as my "anti chrysal" powder... obviously, 'cos you rub that on the belly. ::)

More seriously, you want a bow and arrow set up that gives smoothness and accuracy, and that's down to the individual and how they shoot. Of course you need enough hitting power, but that's seldom an issue unless you are after pachyderms!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 07:30:31 am »
What Pearl said HUh. ??? :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 08:23:14 am »
HI guys,
I have found that bows are like women in the following ways,
1- they both want to be... held gently, not grabbed or groped

2- they both want to be... made loved to, not have there string plucked ;)

if you follow those two rules you will greatly improve your accuracy. >:D >:D
happy bowyering
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 08:55:19 am »
It's not that recurves or flipped tipped bows are less accurate, but rather, the faster the bow shoots, the more "technically precise" your release needs to be.

I teach a LOT of people how to shoot bows, and most of them have never shot a bow before in their life, so I see a lot of sloppy releases. (Thankfully, we're just shooting bullseyes) When the archer has a simple flat bow in their hands, they inevitably have higher scores than when they are shooting a faster shooting, flipped tip bow.

Here's where I think the problem is... Their aim is exactly the same between the two bows, their anchor point is the same, but one thing that new archers consistently do inconsistently is their release.

Maybe someone can describe this better than me, because I'm just going by observation, but if the person's anchor point and aiming method are exactly the same between two bows - one being a simple flat bow, and the other being a flipped tip or recurve bow - the simple flat bow will be MUCH more forgiving of a sloppy release.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 09:04:23 am »
I don't hunt since where I live bowhunting is illegal and there's much more humans than animals anyway.  O:)
But doing a parcours or any shooting where distance varies greatly, I find it easier with a heavier bow. For a consistent distance, I hit better with a lighter one.
Don't shoot!

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »
Let keep tihis simple, I have a bow thats is flat and tillered and shot then I decide to put static tips on it. Will that make it more accurate or less?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 03:09:40 pm »
Let keep tihis simple, I have a bow thats is flat and tillered and shot then I decide to put static tips on it. Will that make it more accurate or less?

the bow is not accurate, the archer is. if you cant hit your target then its your fault not the bows.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 03:36:03 pm »
Yes, it is the archer that misses. But assuming good string alignment and all that, a recurved bow ought to shoot faster and so will also shoot with along a flatter path, making your drop in elevation a bit easier to account for as you have to account for less. So it should help.

SOM

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 07:03:15 pm »
Hard to say because the are so many variables depending on the design.brace height,nock point and arrow spine play a larger part Imho.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 09:02:31 pm »
I think that some believe that longer bows are easier to become accurate with more quickly.

It is more important to be able to put the arrow where you need it than to blast it through the target.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:45 pm »
Accounting for drop only matters fo some people anyways. Because everyone shoots different its hard to get a set answer from any one. I shoot instinctively. My friend and president of the archery club shoot gap. I was out shooting with the one and he was watching me shoot (I was way out scoring him on the 3D course). So he asks me. Where did you aim at that one (a fifteen yard deer). I say at the kill. Next shot is a fourty yard black bear. Nailed it too. "Where did u aim on that one? " "right at the kill."  He looks at me funny. "Do it again" so I do. Upon watching my shooting style he noticed that I draw and anchor. Then creep up wards till I release. I didnt even know I was doing it. And its something ive always done I guess and something he can not do at all. My point is two fold I guess. Whatever bow you use, use it. Get used to it. And it will all fall into place. Secondly, everyone does it different and will tell you different. You goto just find what worms for you. Sorry for the novel. Cheers bro.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 05:28:28 pm »
some recurves dont shoot faster than a straight stave bow,, just depends on the design,,
olympic bows are recurves and shoot accurately
longbows have been shooting accurately for a long time
a very short recurve shot from horse back at full gallop can be shot accurately at close range
really just depends,,,, not really one answer,,

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 05:00:31 am »
I think that some believe that longer bows are easier to become accurate with more quickly.

It is more important to be able to put the arrow where you need it than to blast it through the target.

anything else being equal, a longer bow is usually shooting better (unless it needlessly bends in the middle section). Reasons for making a bow short are different ones.
Recurves will certainly not make a bow more accurate. I'm quite sure of that. It will need tillering adjustments, too.
Don't shoot!