Author Topic: just a thought  (Read 2942 times)

Offline jayman448

just a thought
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:33:46 am »
Hey all.
(oops I submitted that prematurely)
anyways XD. so I got into archery basically because of media. TV and YouTube were my textbooks for quite some time. now here my thing. on YouTube, you search up bow hunting, primitive bow, traditional archery... you only find a hand full of videos actually depicting the beauty of primitive archery. it is littered with high powered compound shooters and tournament recurves, but very few of anything else. just for my own personal sake id enjoy seeing more. anyways not the entire point. I feel like if primitive archery could be represented better in such media it could take another step out of the clique type field that it is in some ways. a good representation could really interest people in this stuff and help to preserve these ancient arts and form of culture. any thoughts on this? (there is no real point beyond my thoughts. take it as a challenge if you will, or just a discussion starter. what are the veterans thoughts? what are everyone's thoughts??)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:40:34 am by jayman448 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: just a thought
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:37:29 am »
Hey Jayman. Que Pasa?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:07:22 am »
I too have been disappointed at the lack of traditional vs. compound videos online, but I think it's just part of a larger difference in people's outlook on the sport and the tackle.  Also, I think most people who saw the Hunger Games or Lord of the Rings ended up wanting a bow, myself included.  I'm glad in a way that it's not more of a mainstream thing because I feel like I'd never be able to find any nice boards!  j/p, I see where you're coming from and I agree 'media representation' would help grow the sport but at the same time I think it's a journey for everyone, not necessarily something that needs to be sold.  I like the idea of being able to make a bow instead of buy one for hundreds of dollars, and if someone really wants to get into bowery they'll surely end up here :)

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 02:37:52 am »
I agree with you. but my thought is simply representation. how many people don't even know this exists but would probably love it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:30 am »
Go for it jayman. ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:09 pm »
Ha . Was lookin fer more feedback then go for it xD. Pros n cons? Lol. Was litterally just a thought xD

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »
My thoughts (Fairly new to this). There are a lot of things that people get into for the simple reason that it is cool. I would rather keep the art true to form, and not artificially inflate the cost of an already kind of expensive hobby. Call me selfish. Just my 2 cents.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 01:31:13 pm »
Give out subscriptions to Primitive Archer Magazine for Christmas, Birthdays, or Anniversary gifts. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »
If you ever get the chance to start attending primitive archery related events one thing will become apparent. This has been going on for awhile. And many of our elders are not technology reliant. So, to address your concern, it's gonna take guys like yourself to make this more available to mainstream media. There are several folks on this forum who go above and beyond with regard to giving time to creating videos for the larger crowd to enjoy. But the majority (myself included) enjoy the sport/hobby without regard to sharing it in bulk form. It tends to be a personal experience and occasionally who shares pictures.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
Give out subscriptions to Primitive Archer Magazine for Christmas, Birthdays, or Anniversary gifts. :)
I know someone that is getting one!

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »
I think traditional archery is best passed down in person if possible. Most every kid in my neighborhood either has a bow now or at least has shot one in my backyard. Almost every one of them has really enjoyed it, and they tell others. It just seems to me that personal introduction makes more of an impression.
Granted, I was brought up BC (before computers) so I may be a little more old school.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »
My neighborhood, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »
My neighborhood at least has a sweet trade arrow floating around somewhere!

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 09:58:11 pm »
My neighborhood at least has a sweet trade arrow floating around somewhere!

hehehe

Offline jayman448

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »
Deffinately dont mean make this mains stream at all. I understand that concern. I was just thinking like what kind of good could it do to have a little more material out there. Just so people can even know it exists. Lets face it there are lots of people who simply dont have the patience or desire to do this. But couldnt it be good for new interest and reference sake to have more material?