Author Topic: Band Saws?  (Read 8471 times)

Offline Comancheria

Band Saws?
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:24:22 pm »
Folks,

I have pretty much settled on using a board for my first effort, especially in light of what Lenador managed.  Whichever design I end up with, I will probably rely on Surforms and rasps for rough wood removal.

But for later on, I have been reading about the advantages of bandsaws.  A couple of sites mentioned having a "big bandsaw".  So I remember the behemoth my grandfather owned.  And the big floor models cost a fortune.  So my question is this--would a small 2.5 HP, bench-mounted unit selling for $129.95 be useful to a bowyer who is willing to go slowly?  Or would that just be a cheap fool's errand?

Thanks,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Band Saws?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:29:41 pm »
Of course it could be useful, but 2.5 HP is quite a motor on a bench mounted 129 dollar machine.  Where are you seeing a machine with these specs, I would like to know.

By way of comparison, my saw is 2 HP and it is a full sized 17 inch machine. 

Russ

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:32:29 pm »
I was wondering that also. My 14.5" is 1hp. Maybe it is .25hp.
 A bench model will work but you will have to take it easy and go slow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:02:40 pm »
Yeah, something sounds a little suspicious about those specs.  A good 2 1/2 hp motor will cost a lot more than $129.00.

But, you will find a band saw to be an extremely useful and time saving tool for bow building.....and many other things.  I have a 14" 1 1/2 hp Delta and wouldn't be too happy with a smaller motor.  Anything less than 1 hp and you will be considerably under powered for working with the type hardwoods used for bow building.

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist posts.  Be patient and you can find just the right machine for your needs.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:29:56 pm »
My 14" 1 hp band saw will cut anything I will ever need.  Like Drewster mentioned, watch your local craigslist for deals.  Whatever you get make sure to keep a sharp blade on it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »
My 14" 1 hp band saw will cut anything I will ever need.  Like Drewster mentioned, watch your local craigslist for deals.  Whatever you get make sure to keep a sharp blade on it.

...and good tires!  I've come to prefer the neoprene ones.  They seem to last forever!

OneBow

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »
Lord, but I feel like an idiot!  The saw (I did not mention the brand or where I saw it because I thought that might not be allowed.  But I just Googled the saw--which was at Lowes--and it was most certainly NOT 2.5 HP--rather, it was a Skil at 2.5 AMPS!  And it is a 9 inch model.  So, from
What you all say, it would be less than minimal.

Thanks for the correction.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:45:20 pm »
I use a 6amp Milwaukee portaband that I clamp in a vise upright.it's not the best but it will get the job done and it's blades are quite cheap and last long. I also have a 9" ryobi, it works ok on boards but it's hard on blades and they are not so cheap.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline scp

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »
Anything is better than nothing. Most wood split easily. Once you split the wood to the size of bow stave, the 9" bandsaw would be good enough. If you buy boards or split staves, that's all you need. I have a 10" one.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:09 pm »
Sawing boards yes.  Milling smaller logs into boards for bows... No.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:33 pm »
Gotcha.  Thanks, Gentlemen.

Russ

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11:12 am »
You will never regret buying a bigger saw but you may regret buying a smaller one.

I made a lot of bows with an old 1/2 hp Craftsman saw (American made), with a sharp blade it got the job done. When I moved up to a 1.5 hp Griz I moved into a different word as far as kind of wood I could run through my saw.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:23:44 am »
One of the problems with the smaller saws is that their 3-wheelers and much more prone to have blades jump off or brake..more high maintenence when doin what we do, lol. That bein said, i used the heck out of one till we got a big one  ;D... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:01 pm »
Look at Harbor Freight they sell some decent 14" models in the 200 range. Those old behemoths that you remember were heavy frames and solid steel, motors were cast frames and heavy, but no more efficient than todays. I own two, an old meat saw and a powermatic and both take two good men to move, but the motors are only 1.5 hp.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:40:55 pm »
200 should get you a used 12" delta on Craigslist to.  Might be easier to get parts for them over the harbor freight saw. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left