Author Topic: Meare Heath from a Board?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Comancheria

Meare Heath from a Board?
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:48:40 am »
My latest thinking is to go with a red oak board for my first effort--if, for no other reason than the fact that I will cut my first oak staves this summer.

Comstock, in "The Bent Stick" and in TBB Volume 1, praises this design highly--while warning there are easier first designs to execute.

But the dimensions he mentions are: Length=66"; Width: 2" from near the handle to slightly past mid-limb, tapering to 1/2 " at the nocks; Thickness everywhere but the handle is under the 3/4" thickness of the board.

So am I far off in thinking I could build this bow fr a six foot board?

Thanks,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Meare Heath from a Board?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:42 am »
6' is 72" so yes u can if it's wide enough. Make sure it's straight grained wood. Good luck
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:28:27 am »
Still just playing with ideas.  I might have to glue on material for the handle.  Need to look at the material out on the Net about the bow.  Might opt for a D bow.
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:56 am »
A pyramid bow is a better option, especially for a first bow 4" handle 2" fades 2" wide at end of fades to 1/2" tips 66" ntn and even thickness of just under 1/2" to start, maple is a great board wood for bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »
  I just typed out a huge tutorial and can't find it cuz the computer kicked me out.

The hardest part is getting a decent thickness taper where your bow doesn't side taper.  My method is to steal my kid's crayons and color everywhere I want to remove material.  Start where the side taper starts and color all the area from that to the tip.  Scrape or rasp it off until you cant see any crayon. Move in a few inches and do it again. and a few more and do it again.  If you scrape the whole thing evenly it will maintain thickness.  If you starir step them, it will taper.  Check it with floor tillering often, and never strain it past target draw weight.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 12:01:06 pm »
I'd do what bubby said.  you are going to want to make another one anyway so make two.   ;D

To answer your question.  NO you are not far off in thinking it can be built from a 6' red oak board.  YES it can be done and done well. 

Give it a shot.  Make sure you buy a few boards cuz again you are going to want to make another.   

Listen to Blaflair2 and make sure the grain is straight on all 4 sides....   you will be tempted to buy less than straight grain... don't do it.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?