Author Topic: venison nuggets  (Read 4183 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
venison nuggets
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:49:28 pm »
Went to a friends house last night just in time to score some leftover venison. Perfect timing, it was still warm :D. Anyway, they cut it up in small cubes, battered it and fried it, like chicken nuggets. They were tasty to say the least! I'll be making some like that myself, soon hopefully. Never had it like that before, wondered if anybody else did.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline chamookman

Re: venison nuggets
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:58:21 am »
Sounds good for something different. Never really been a fan of battering Venison, too good to cover up with anything for Me. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:30:14 am »
I cube it, smash it with a meat mallet, batter and fry it like Chicken fried steak. It about melts in your mouth!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »
Here in South Dakota, that is a very traditional dish called "Chizlick".  Some batter, some do not, but in either case it is always deep fried fast and not for too long so that it remains tender and juicy.  Marinades are not unusual, and discussions over best marinades often devolve into fistfights and families breaking up.

The name is a derived from the Russian shashlik and from Arabic shiskebab.  In the earliest records, it was mutton, but nowdays anything animal based is used! 

My choice of marinade is 3 mashed cloves of garlic for every pound of meat, 2 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper, and about a quarter cup of good cabernet sauvignon.  dad-gum it, now I am hungry enough to eat my shoes and floss my teeth with the laces.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:31 pm »
Exactly what I was thinking JW. I love this thread, but every time I read it, I end up in the kitchen looking for something to eat. I'll have to be trying that marinade for sure, sounds yummy!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI