Author Topic: Anyone ever use owl feathers?  (Read 15979 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Anyone ever use owl feathers?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 05:29:36 am »
JMO, this day in age I don't think their would be any problem if they resended that silly law. I guess in the big picture you are right Pat, nothing really goes to waste BUT, it sure make me sick to see them on the road getting mashed and mashed again until their is nothing but a grease spot, seen a big Owl [don't know what kind] yesterday morning, this morning just a mashed up mess. Sad to me. :)
It is kind of like lots of laws and thing that we have done in the past, they were fine at the time but the time has passed. :) Again JMO. ;) :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 10:30:19 am »
I get it Pap.  It's funny how certain things will bother me and others won't.  I'll see a dead cat in the middle of the road and won't give it another thought but then I'll see a tortoise with it's shell split and it just strikes me as wrong.  I always stop and grab the turtles/tortoises and give them a boost across the road.

When I used to run high mileage training for the marathon I came across some suffering animals that had been hit.  It's a much different perspective then when flying by at 50 miles an hour.

Anyhow...
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 11:09:01 am »
I hear ya, I do the same with our box turtles, certain times of the year they litter the road I move them out of the way when I get the chance, still it's a shame to not be able to use it after it is already dead. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 01:20:03 pm »
Pappy
maybe you can lead the way for change

Eddie
yep always good to know that big brother is watching out for us
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 07:21:06 pm »
wait, I thought stupid laws only applied to stupid people???   >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline dueb

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 07:22:09 pm »

I wish  :laugh:
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 01:31:37 pm »

No, stupid laws are WRITTEN by stupid people....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 09:42:49 am »
That law was written by smart people. If it weren't for the law, we wouldn't have all the songbirds, sea birds or raptors we have today. There are plenty enough feathers of legal birds for all of our arrows and fishing flies.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 10:36:23 am »
I agree with the law in general. I just wish they'd put a number on it. Like, possession of more than ten feathers or something. It just seems like such a shame to leave something so useful to rot. But human nature being what it is some a-hole would abuse it ??? ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 11:05:43 am »
That's the problem, DC.  The a-h*l@ that would abuse the change ruins it for all. We've survived for over 100 years with that law and no one is the worst for it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 07:55:47 pm »
Agreed. And it's all because of ladies hats :( :(. I talked to the Environment Officer(newspeak for Game Warden) and he said that they don't pay that much attention to that law in Canada. If you just have a few you've picked up they ignore it. That said, it can be used as an attitude adjuster so take care.

icu812

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 11:18:31 am »
Just to give you a taste of how serious they are about this law in the US: my cousin just got 2 years in federal prison for possession of a raptor wing (which he found dead).. he was charged around the time this post was started so I felt the need to reply.  It was his first offense.

If you dont wanna buy expensive feathers, there's always the full length duck and goose feathers they sell at craft stores... $2 for a quarter pound of 'em.

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 04:15:36 pm »
   I found a road kill crane one time and cut the wings off it. Months later I was shooting 3-d with a gentleman who asked me what kind of fletches I had on my arrows. I told him and his response was I didn't hear that. He was fish and game and did believe that it was roadkill but advised me to remove the fletches and get rid of them.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 07:00:13 pm »
Can you elaborate, icu812.  Possession and/or killing of a hawk is not a felony and consequently any incarceration would be less than 12 months by law.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 10:34:50 pm »
There is an old saying they preach at you in law school: "Hard cases make bad law."  It is easier for legislators to make absolute rules than to make subtle distinctions.  And such rules are easier to enforce.  Not sure where I come down on this issue, but sometimes game wardens and their departments, (whom I do admire) can act like what comes out of the south end of a northbound chicken.  One example:

Down here on the South Texas coast, we have some really shallow bays--mile after mile of water from
6 inches to 2 feet deep.  On a warm day, the speckled trout and redfish will get up in the shallows to feed.  Now, we also have very few days in a year where the temperature drops below 32.  But every once in a while, we get hit by an Arctic cold front of epic proportions.  So back in the early 'eighties, one of those babies blasted in and kept the temperature below freezing for over a week.  Near zero at night and teens during the heat of the day.  Redfish and specs were caught in the shallows and froze to death by the millions.

We also have--and had then--lots of really poor people in the area.  So, seeing a gift from God, they ran down to the beaches with washtubs and baskets, picking up the stunned and dying fish--to eat.  So what did Parks and Wildlife do?  Ticketed them as fast as they could and made them dump the fish--to rot.  Not certain whether it is true or not but it was reported that State officials even brought in extra wardens from counties to the north--to aid in enforcement.

True, the two cases are different, but I think it goes to show that a little discretion in law is an important part of getting the citizens to take laws seriously and WANT to abide by them!

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!