Author Topic: Anyone ever use owl feathers?  (Read 15980 times)

icu812

Re: Anyone ever use owl feathers?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 12:55:48 am »
JW,

He didn't have much working in his favor. He has an extensive criminal history and may or may not have been on probation at the time. He most definitely got two years though, and it was his first game violation (if thats what you call it). I dont know what other factors contributed to his longer than normal incarceration for the predator wing. I have read that its up to 1 year and $100,000 fine for the average Joe's first time offense though. Regardless, bad news!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 03:32:26 pm »
JW,

He didn't have much working in his favor. He has an extensive criminal history and may or may not have been on probation at the time. He most definitely got two years though, and it was his first game violation (if thats what you call it). I dont know what other factors contributed to his longer than normal incarceration for the predator wing. I have read that its up to 1 year and $100,000 fine for the average Joe's first time offense though. Regardless, bad news!

I'd guess that it violated his probation. That seems the most likely and simple explanation. You need to stay squeaky clean when you're on probation because they'll throw the book at you otherwise. You can go to jail for something as simple as drinking a few beers if it violates your probation terms. 

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 04:11:18 pm »
That's what I was thinking and I suspect you are right, Stack.  But the irony is you probably have a lot greater chance at probation revocation for having an owl feather on your arrow than for getting all
Gurgled up with hooch and running someone off the road and killing them.

OK--sometimes I exaggerate--but not by much.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 04:24:12 pm »
On a less somber note, I live about 25 miles from where the last Whooping Cranes spend the winter.  Down here, they tell the story about the good old boy whose elevator didn't go all the way to the top floor, who was apprehended by the game warden for shooting seagulls.  "Please, officer," the guy whined, "My family is starving to death and I ain't got no job--and anyway I didn't know it was agin' the law noway!"

"Well, I'll let you off this one time," the warden said, "but tell me--what does a seagull taste like, anyway"?

And our worthy citizen replied, "It's kinda like a cross between a Golden Eagle and a Whooping Crane"

When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »
I found part of a dead owl. Before i realized it was illegal, I used its feathers on a few arrows. I didn't notice any reduction in sound.

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 03:18:23 pm »
I once found a dead owl on the road. I checked laws and quickly returned it. I felt bad but would have felt worse in prison.

As an aside at the mention of starling. That bird taste amazing and its legal all over the states. They like dog food. I take a handfull of hard kibble and scatter it in a small area. Then wait inside with the door open. Shoot a few soon as a large flock hits the ground. They fly to the trees. Leave em be or they fly off. When they all hit ground again I shot again with my pellet rifle. Great fun and good eating. Taste like duck. Deep red meat.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2015, 06:58:55 pm »
Russ;
 That was probably the same freeze that stunned and killed a bunch of our Snook. I know a few people that were scooping them up so they didn't go to waste and watching for the Marine Patrol.
It happens here in our lakes with the Tilapia and it is legal to load all you want.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 07:03:10 pm »
I remember that feeze Eddie. They made snook illegal for a while because of it. I hated life, but understood. Have they recovered yet?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

gutpile

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »
if you are a card toting Indian you can have owl , eagle or hawk feathers.... just sayin

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »
I don't think it is quite that simple, Gutpile but I don't know that for fact.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline son of massey

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 04:31:01 pm »
My understanding (so take this for what you think that is worth) was that members of indian tribes can get special permits to use specific feathers for specific ceremonial things-like a headdress or what have you. I do not believe they have license to pick up and use feathers as they will, there is still a permit system in place for them even if they do have the ability to be in possession of feathers without it being automatically against the law. The same is true of educational institutions-biology labs can have stuffed owls or hawks, but permission is needed for each.

SOM