Author Topic: Trade bow makes meat!  (Read 16682 times)

Offline DGF

Trade bow makes meat!
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:04:43 pm »
After a frustrating start things finally panned out for me last night on this tender little 5 point. I hit the woods after work leaving me with just shy of an hour of daylight to hunt. The rut is on, the scrapes are opened up regularly and gun season is just a week away so I knew if I was going to appropriately break in the bow I was gifted by Paul in the bow trade this week was my best bet. I settled into my stand and let out a couple doe bleats. It didn't take but a minute and I had this deer walking right towards me from a tangle of tall grass and brush. He was broadside at about 12 yards when I focused on a spot, belated to stop him, hit my anchor point and let the arrow fly home. He spun around and took off. I watched as the arrow shaft broke off and flipped into the air. It didn't take but a second for him to disappear in the thicket he had emerged from. The shot looked good, in the ribs on the right side about half way up but because of some bad luck earlier this season and not having seen him go down I backed out after retrieving my broken arrow shaft and returned after grabbing a flashlight and fresh set of batteries about 2 hours after I had taken the shot. First blood looked good and continued that way up for about 50 yards. After that it was a speck here, a speck there as I crawled through a maze of thick tangled brush and thorns. I eventually lost the trail all together. It began to sleet and rain and I was making slow progress on the blood trail so I began to follow different trails hoping to find somewhere where the blood picked up again. I was unable to find anymore blood but did find himpiled up along one of the well worn trails. He had only made it about 100 yards with the shot only getting 1 lung and some liver, but it was a testing blood trail.

Sorry for the poor quality photos. I was hunting solo and all I had with me was my phone camera.

-Dan
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:19:42 pm by DGF »
Wyoming, MI

Offline paulsemp

Re: Trade bow makes meat!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »
Congrats dan! I was so happy to draw you for the bow trade and be able to give it to you in person at Marshall. it is quite flattering to make one for someone and see that they are actually hunting with it. Once again great job man

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »
Way to go Dan!   And great job on the bow Paul. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:01:10 pm »
Congrats Dano, very cool man. I've been hunting with my Pauly bow as well, guess I'm not gonna be the first to get a deer with a Paulsemp bow. ;D ;D  You da man dan.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:02:59 am »
Great job Dan-o and Pauly! Nothing better in the hunting world than what you did right there, nothing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 09:14:42 am »
Awesome! Congratulations to you and Paul.  It's a great feeling when you make a bow for someone and then you find out that they used it for what it was intended.  It couldn't have happened for two more deserving folks.  Great shooting.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:46:28 am »
Glad you found him. Good job with that trade bow.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline RyanR

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 11:51:26 am »
Nice job Dan! That was a sweet shooting bow also Paul.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »
YA HOOEE!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Ken S

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:00:32 pm »
Very cool congratulations,its amazing what you can do with a sweet bow and the last bit of daylight. :laugh:

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:33:45 am »
 congrat's to both of ya, that venison should taste extra good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 06:28:43 am »
Awesome!  Good for both of ya.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:59:25 am »
How cool Dan.   That was a great looking bow.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 08:53:22 pm »
Nice work bro, nothing better than getting a text that a deer is down!

Congrats - now I'm the jealous one  >:D
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 05:01:12 pm »
Way to go, Dan! Glad you stayed with it even though it sounds like it was a real challenge to find. And nice looking bow, Paul.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?