Author Topic: first forged knife blanks + finshed knife  (Read 6203 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

first forged knife blanks + finshed knife
« on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:54 pm »
this past summer i was working trying new things one of them happend to be me trying to make a charcol forge. after about a week of looking  at pics i took a old fire pot and and  took sum concrete mix and started working on  getting the top molded got that worked out  stuck me a small fan  at the bottom and went and got sum charcol . works really well  to playaround with and gets railroad spikes cherry red in minits .  finding out i could not use just  any kind of pliers i been on  the took out for  a cheap set of BLACKSMITH TONGS . what I'm needing to no is what type of tongs am i going to need for mainly working with railroad spikes witch typed would hold the best ? any input would be grate . i no there is sum guys on the site that makes knifes  and works with sum propain forge. maybe you guys can get me lookin at the right stuff .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:54:17 pm by littlehunters19862011 »

Offline wildman

Re: ? about BLACKSMITH tools
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 11:19:44 pm »
I often use vice grips, I set them to the piece before I start working it.  You should check antique stores and flea markets for some smitty tools.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:27 am »
I made my own out of some cold roled steel bars.

Offline longbow man

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 01:23:48 pm »
    Try and keep the steel full length if you can or around 18" long to go into the fire. This way most of the forging can be done with no tongs or pliers. Just grab the end with good leather gloves.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »

Do like Madcrow said, and make your own.  After all it is a forge......  ::) ;)  Also if you want to get ready made tongs, look for a Farrier, (Horse shoe maker) and see where he orders his supplies, or go on line, and look up either blacksmith supplies, or Farrier supplies, or check out some farm supply stores.  As for using concrete, I would recommend using fire clay, that is used in making fireplaces, and bar B que grills. Get a variety of hammers, five pound sledge, large pall peen, and small ball peen, good heavy duty wire brush, welders hammer, Welders glove, and apron, and good eye protection.  You can use a heat gun for your forced air, as it is hot and adds to forge.  Keep your eye out for stuff for sale on the internet, and yard sales, and antique shops.  A good heavy duty vice is a must have, and try to get an OLDER American made one, as the Chinese crap, is cast iron, and will bust apart when you use the little anvil on it.  Also speaking of Anvil, a good one is a god send.  The pieces of rail iron, are good for small projects, but a good sized anvil is a big help.  200lb, or more, if you can find one, but a hundred pound will suffice till you can get a bigger one.  You want the top of the anvil to be at your middle joint of your fingers.  Set the anvil on a good sturdy stump, or metal frame, or solid platform of 2x4's or 2x6', etc. nailed, or screwed together to form a base for the anvil. Just fold your fingers at the middle joint, and they should rest on the top of the anvil, and that will be your personal optimal working height.  I read where one noted blacksmith, said he thought that steel worked over charcoal made better steel, than the gas forges.  I don't know if this has to do with the charcoal imparting any carbon to the steel, while it is being heated, or not.  He said it was just his opinion, having used both methods.  Anyway, check out those sites, and good luck with the "Black" Art. ;)

Wayne

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:27:39 pm »
OK thanks for the  info guys . i been watching  videos  and  lookin at all the tools used and uses for each one .  maybe ill fire it  up this weekend  and give it a try again   its go in to be in the 30s here so would be a grate time  to play around with it .

Re: about BLACKSMITH tools/ first knife blanks
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:19:12 pm »
well i gave it a shot the other night and worked out 2 knife blanks for starters .did not turn out to bad i got one ruff shaped .i have a peace of rail road used is not smooth and gave the blades i neat look .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:28:48 pm by littlehunters19862011 »

Re: about BLACKSMITH tools/ first knife blanks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:23:58 pm »
more pics 

Offline dueb

Re: first forged knife blanks
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »
Cool shape, I like...  :D
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline wildman

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:13:25 pm »
Nice !!!!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 10:03:56 pm »
Man that one on the note book is going to be one handy blade dang! I like that!!good job JeffW

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 11:07:39 pm »
 thanks guys these are my first ever hand hammered knifes Ive  tried i hope they turn out .well add more pics as i go forword with them

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 04:07:02 pm »
That's very cool.  Something I hope to jump on this winter.
1’—>1’

Re: first forged knife blanks + finshed knife
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »
been away for  a while but  coming back and looking at all the nice knifes every one has  been posting . but a fire under my butt to finish sum of mine that has been setting  . so here is the first one i started  got a Lil tweaking  to do on it but over all is done . blade needs a good buffing . not perfect but as my first knife i have ever handforged and made on my own its grate to me .

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: first forged knife blanks + finshed knife
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »
Very nice knife, looks cool.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?