Author Topic: snakey wood bows  (Read 4102 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
snakey wood bows
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:42:53 pm »
Would someone, be really kind to do a build a long on making character bow. Strangley I dont know How to find the centerline for something wavey in shape, or how to make the taper constant.  Thus Far I've just taken a chalk line and Made them straight, though I would like to follow the grain as you say here.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: snakey wood bows
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »
bootboy go to search and type twin sisters and you can see how I drew them out.Also
Go to snake bow and there was a build along with the snake bow I built in march.I don't
think it showed the lay out but it showed the rest of the project,you may search[ Next project]
that may be where it is.After you look at that if it doesn't help I will try and explane it for you.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:16:31 pm »
There is a decent section in TBB Vol 1 on character bows... check it out. I believe it's in the chapter on tillering.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:25:41 pm »
Logs will split radially right down the grain, usually.  When you get osage orange or locust down to one ring you can see longituninal grain lines on the back.  They aren't long and you need the light to be slanting to see them well.  I figure out approximately where I want the center of the stave to be.  Then I trace down those thin little lines toward one end of the stave with a thin marker, jumping stright from the end of one to the next one.  When you are done tracing your line all the little grain lines alongside your "middle line" should be parallel to it.  Do the same down the other limb.  That's your centerline.  If not suitable, because your stave is too narrow on one side, just make another line parallel to the forst and offset.

Of course once you have the centerline you lay out the bow by setting lines off deom the midline.

duffontap

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:35:38 pm »
Would someone, be really kind to do a build a long on making character bow. Strangley I dont know How to find the centerline for something wavey in shape, or how to make the taper constant.  Thus Far I've just taken a chalk line and Made them straight, though I would like to follow the grain as you say here.

Here's a couple things to get your thinking started:
1.  You want your tips and handle to line up as well as possible so using a string from tip to tip will help you gauge how well the string is tracking down the center of the grip.
2.  You want the limbs to follow the natural path of the wood fibers so carefully draw a line down the stave that will help you with layout. 
3.  Check width and thickness every four to six inches to keep tapers even. 

Good luck! Failure is a viable option.   :D

J. D.

a finnish native

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:34:47 pm »
you can find the center by following the crown of the stave. then taper by free hand. that's what I do. and leave more wood around the knots. As you see in all of the bows here. It does not have to be so precise. It will shoot fine anyway even though it is not measured by 1mm accuracy

Glenn R.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:37:58 pm »
On a similar note, I've been laying out a couple bows/staves with lots of reflex---hard to get a straight line for center---untill recently---I've been using a laser, the type for shooting lines for wall, ceiling work in construction. I know its not very traditional but gives a guaranteed straight line regardless of contour.

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:35:44 pm »
On a similar note, I've been laying out a couple bows/staves with lots of reflex---hard to get a straight line for center---untill recently---I've been using a laser, the type for shooting lines for wall, ceiling work in construction. I know its not very traditional but gives a guaranteed straight line regardless of contour.

That is a great idea.   :o

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 09:46:40 pm »
With snaky staves, I make sure the split sides are following the grain, then measure and mark the center every few inches or wherever the grain changes direction. Then it's just a matter of connecting the dots to get a center line. When you come to a knot, follow the grain out around it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:02 am »
Whoah! that was quite the response, Very helpful, Thanks to all.
knapp 'um if you got 'um