Author Topic: Looking for an Amish bread start.  (Read 5244 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Looking for an Amish bread start.
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:40 pm »
My wife asked if I would see if anyone here had a start for Amish bread. Thanks for all of your help.

Joe
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Looking for an Amish bread start.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:29:46 pm »
If you made a batch in your bread machine, would it still be Amish, or would the loaf have to be shunned???

>:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:38:20 pm »
Shunned for sure, unless powered by a diesel generator. For whatever reason that is OK...
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 04:40:03 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:38:44 pm »
Not Amish, I think you're talking Mennonite.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 08:39:52 pm »
vell i doent noah if dis vould help ya but i tink yous be lookin fur a sour dough recipeh. read this with an Amish accent.  am schputting as I do gave Amish back ground ( my mother) and I am Mennonite-modern style. Yes the recipe you are looking for is a sour dough starter and can be found on-line doing a Google search.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:50:08 pm »
Joe, I have an extra packet of starter in the pantry cupboard. Email or PM me your address and I'll send it Monday. Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 03:23:45 pm »
Not this Monday, Fred. Federal holiday!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:25 pm »
I need to check my calender before making promises. If it's not the Sabbath I just presume we are on schedule. :D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:43:21 pm »
This is the one I use.

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

3 cups all-purpose flour, divided

3 cups white sugar, divided

3 cups milk

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
    On days 2 through 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 through 9; stir only.
    Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

After removing the 3 cups of batter, combine the remaining cup of Amish Friendship Bread starter with the following ingredients in a large bowl:

2/3 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Using a fork beat by hand until well blended. You can add 1 cup raisins and 1 cup nuts (optional).

Grease two loaf pans with butter, sprinkle with sugar instead of flour.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour (individual oven temperatures vary). Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans. Makes two loaves of Amish Friendship Bread.

you can leave the vanilla and cinnamon out and add two crushed bananas or add raisins and a finely diced apple.