Author Topic: Cold weather = bring on the soups!  (Read 8607 times)

Offline mhof86

Cold weather = bring on the soups!
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:53:03 am »
With the temperature dropping I love a good soup or chili. That being said I made a pot of bean soup (started out as bean soup turned into more than that) last night and it came out great.

1lb bacon
1lb ham
1lb kielbasa
4 cans great northern beans
2 cans refried beans
4-5 celery stalks
a handful of chopped green onion
a handful of chopped red onion
2 cans of mushrooms
3 large potatoes cut into small pieces
enough water to cover all the ingredients in the pot
garlic powder
Italian seasoning
pepper
no salt (because my wife takes some into the nursing home she works at for some of the residents and the salt from the meats is already pushing it with some of the diets enforced there)

Throw everything into the pot and cook it for as long as you can stand to. I think I made it almost 2 hours this time before the smell finally got to me and I caved.

Tons of leftovers and it warms ya up great!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Cold weather = bring on the soups!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:30:25 pm »
Bring on the soups!! Amen to that brother! That sounds darn good.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

R19bof

1FATP8UH3K5159596 Ford Mustang 2019 Blue 2.3L
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »

Ford Mustang 2019 Blue 2.3L vin: 1FATP8UH3K5159596

Lot sold for   20900

Auction:    I buy fast

Lot number: 28658375

Date of sale: 12.05.2019

Year: 2019

VIN: 1FATP8UH3K5159596

Condition: Run and Drive

Engine: 2.3L I4 N

Mileage: 827 miles (Actual)

Seller: Avis Budget Group

Documents: CLEAR (Florida)

Estimated Retail Value:

Transmission: Automatic

Body color: Blue

Drive: Rear Wheel Drive

Fuel: Gasoline

Keys: Present

Notes: Not specified

Thats why, between the EcoBoost High Performance Package, GT Performance Package, Bullitt, Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT350, theres never been a more capable stable full of Mustangs to choose from. But the GT350, might be the most special of the bunch.
You may think of the Mustang as a drag-strip special, a muscle car built for straight lines and stoplight hauls. Ford, though, is serious about making the iconic pony car a significant performance machine both at the drag strip and on the race track.
It screams like a Ferrari, but it also burbles like an old American V-8 because of some trickery in the exhaust design. Its an entirely unique sound that makes revving it even more enjoyable. When it does hit its redline, you shift using an old-fashioned six-speed manual transmission..
CNBC | Mack Hogan
Ford Shelby Mustang G350

1FATP8UH3K5159596

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:44:35 pm by R19bof »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:57:29 am »
That Bean Soup sounds good ! Many years ago I Bartended/cooked at a local joint. The Matriarch did most of the cooking, and was known for Her Bean Soup. She claimed Her secret was adding common Yellow Table Mustard. I do this now at home - 1 tablespoon in a normal size pot put a nice zing in it. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 08:23:13 am »
I will have to give that a shot next time I make this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:58:20 pm »
The secret to a good soup is good stock. As Escoffier said, "Indeed, stock is everything in cooking...without it, nothing can be done." And the best stock is homemade. If you threw away the carcass from your Thanksgiving turkey, it was a serious mistake. Whether it be a turkey, chicken, or even a rabbit carcass, the secret is this:

Start with a good stainless steel stock pot that can hold at least three gallons or more. Break apart the carcass and put it into the pot. Cover the carcass all the way up and over the carcass by an inch. Put the lid on the stock pot and put it into your oven at 225 degrees for two days and two nights.

The following day, remove from oven and let it cool to lukewarm. Strain it through a colander into another stock pot. The leftover meat off the carcass in the collander can be fed to dogs or cats. It won't be good for eating due to small bone particles that won't bother cats or dogs but you won't like. Now you can create "broth-cicles" to store the broth for later. Because if you rendered a turkey, you'll end up with a gallon of broth at least. Take heavy-duty gallon freezer bags and use a ladle to ladle about a quart of broth into a bag, close it, and set it carefully into the freezer so it remains upright. Do this until all the broth is bagged and in the freezer, unless you want to reserve some to make a soup with it right away.

When you want to use the broth, you take a freezer bag of broth out of the freezer, open the bag, and just peel the frozen broth "cicle" from inside and put it into a stock pot. Then it melts over low heat and it's ready to go. It usually won't stick to the inside of the bag due to the fat content. But if it does, just run it under hot water a few seconds and the broth-cicle will peel away easy.

This is the way to make great broth and it can be done with any carcass, be it turkey, chicken, game birds, goose, duck, rabbit, and so on. The quantity of broth depends on the size of the carcass. From a big turkey, you can garner at least two gallons of broth or more. Top quality stuff you can't get in the store and not salty like store-bought broth. It'll be more savory, too, with more fat in the broth which will make richer soups, stews, and chilis.

If you're a gravy fan, pour enough broth that'll be about the serving size of gravy you use for a meal into smaller heavy-duty freezer bags and make you a few of those. Then when you want gravy, you get the broth cicle out of the bag and melt it into your saucepan. Make your gravy with that using flour, milk, butter, salt, and black pepper. If you need the recipe for that, let me know. But I do it all by the palm-of-hand measurement, so, there's that. But this gravy is great on mashed potatoes, chicken, and rice. You can make several gravy-sized broth bags to keep in the freezer and gravy is only a few minutes away. Top quality gravy you can't buy in the store.

You can get a lot of mileage out of a turkey. Believe me, if you throw away carcasses without making broth, you're throwing money away.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »
Dharma's words on stock are gospel.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 04:01:57 pm »

Ditto to Dharma, and J.W.!!  I could live on just soups alone.  And bean soups are my favorite.  I especially love Great Northern, and Butter beans, and Lima beans.  I make a killer Lima Bean soup!  I cook the Lima Beans, till just about done, Oh yeah, I usually use two packages of frozen Lima Beans.  If you have fresh from the garden ones Great!  Anyway, I cook them till they are almost done, and then cut up a sweet onion, and sometimes, if I can get them, a Leek, you know like "Julia Childs" said, on one of her cooking shows, quite some time back ...... "First you take a Leek" .....  Anyway, sometimes I will also add a Leek, and dice it up, and either put in a half to a pound of non cured bacon, or Hillshire Farms smoked beef sausage.  But I normally use the uncured bacon, because the sausage ingredients, reads like a Jr. Chemistry set.  But if you don't mind that, then use it.  Then I make a roux (Roo) of the bean broth, and flour, and onion, and garlic powder, and a dash or two of McCormicks original chicken, or just use Old Bay if you can't find the original chicken seasoning.  Then I put in a few liberal dashes of McCormicks, Smokehouse maple, seasoning.  Oh, when cooking the beans, I put a cup and a half, of water, and a cup and a half of Half, and Half cream. Salt and pepper, to taste. I do all this by taste. I also mash, or take some of the cooked Lima Beans out of the pot, and puree them, and put them back into the pot.  If you can get them, use the Ford Hook, type of Lima Bean, they are the big ones.  It has a much more rich flavor.  Anyway, baby ones, will work also.  I have had people who absolutely hated Lima Beans, ask for the recipe, after eating two or three helpings.  It is a very rich, and flavorful soup.  Not something for dieting, but as my Buddy's Wife calls it, it is Comfort food.  Try it, and you will like it.

Wayne

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 10:58:54 pm »
Here is a great soup recipe from my father's ancestors:

SHCHI

1 pound of hamburger meat, browned in a skillet with a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
2 quarts of beef broth
1 medium-sized turnip, diced fine
1 large potato, a one-pounder, diced fine
1 16oz. can of tomato sauce
1 32oz. jar of quality sauerkraut
2 tablespoons minced dried onions
2 tablespoons garlic powder or 3 large cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon finely-ground black pepper

Into a large stock pot, start the beef broth simmering and add the diced turnip, potato, and browned meat. Keep covered. Once it's all boiling, add the onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat and let this simmer covered for two hours. Then add the tomato sauce. Hint: Wash out the tomato sauce can with hot water, swirling it in the can, and add this to the soup to get extra mileage out of the tomato sauce clinging to the inside of the can. The tomato sauce/hot water will also add a rich liquid in the soup. It works, trust me, I've made this soup hundreds of times. Bring this back to a simmer, stirring well. Now stir in the dill. After that, dump the entire jar of sauerkraut, liquid and all, into the pot. Bring this to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Taste soup, if you want more salt, add more to taste.

Serve this to the table in bowls piping hot. On the table should be sour cream or smetana that people can stir a dollop of into the soup, should they desire to do so. Also there should be on the side some slightly toasted slices of black bread, generously buttered. This soup is excellent for winter, especially snowy days. It only gets better every time you reheat it, but there's a trick to that. Don't microwave it in individual bowls. After the first meal, put the whole stock pot into the fridge. The next day, take it out and heat it up on the stove. Repeat this every time.

If you want more than the recipe calls for, double it. There's no wrong way to make shchi as far as quantities go. Like more broth? Add more broth to the recipe. More potato? Add another to the recipe. Each time you make it, you'll learn how to make shchi the way you like it. And if you make too much to eat in two or three meals, you can ladle it into a Tupperware container and freeze it. Then you can just run a little hot water over the Tupperware and dump the shchi-cicle into the stock pot like emptying an ice cube tray. Heat it on low, very slowly, until it melts. Then bring to a boil and you'll see it has been preserved nicely.

It's my favourite soup. Kept my ancestors fed for hundreds of years.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:00:50 pm »
Oh, it was also traditional to serve kasha on the side sometimes. Kasha is an acquired taste for some. So, you be the judge.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 06:05:27 am »
Sounds good dharma. Gonna have to try that one. And the lima beans would get me a whole pot of soup to myself. The wife is not a fan. That might work out great for me!

I was at a polish resteraunt and had dill pickle soup. Anyone have a good authentic recipe for this? It was the only place I have ever had it up in Hamtramck. There are recipies online but wondering if anyone here has a good one for it.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »
My father's ancestors made this dill pickle soup. It's called Rassolnik. Traditionally, the meat used is beef or pork kidneys. But you can use the same recipe for Shchi, making the following adjustments:

Use ground pork instead of the kidneys in the same quantities above. But if you use kidneys, you need to use a pound of them. They have to be prepared and cooked properly before adding them to the soup. The smell of that going on won't be a real family-pleaser, by the way.

You need to add 1/2 cup of pearl barley to the soup along with the potato.

Dice dill pickles to make one cup and add them to the soup, along with a cup of the pickle juice, for the last thirty minutes. You need to use real pickled, fermented cucumber pickles. Ones fermented and then pickled in brine, not vinegar. Look for the brands Hermann's or Bubbies. Omit the sauerkraut entirely.

Add 2 teaspoons of dill instead of one.

Omit the turnip and use 1 large carrot, cut into 1" thin matchstick strips.

Omit the tomato sauce.

The secret to making it great is to sprinkle a couple tablespoons of chopped, fresh dill over the soup after you ladle it into a bowl. Rassolnik is a traditional Russian hangover cure. It's also traditionally served to pregnant women. Just sayin'...

There's a variation called Solyanka. In this one, you use a pound of cooked beef, ham, chicken, and smoked sausage (often a Russian hunter sausage called kabanosy, which is also what Poles call this sausage) and diced and mixed together. Omit the sauerkraut, omit the turnip, omit the barley, use a 16oz can of diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. Use the dill pickles and brine as in Rassolnik. Use one cup of shredded fresh cabbage, added with the potato.

Everyone has different recipes for these soups. You have to experiment to find your own favourite. This is how it's done. You use these recipes as the beta test versions and then you discover for yourself the way you like it best.

FYI, during World War Two, the Soviet army marched into Berlin from the USSR on nothing but these soups and kasha. Mostly on Shchi. A little Lend-Lease Spam if they were lucky enough to get it and it was often added to these soups as the meat when they had it. Soviet field kitchens were basically huge steel cauldrons with wood fires built underneath them and mounted on a wagon pulled by horses or a Bactrian camel. They called them "soup cannons" because of the large smokestack it had. The Wehrmacht knew the Soviets were real close when they could smell kasha and shchi cooking. They knew the Soviets were right on top of them when they could smell the mahorka being smoked. The Soviets printed newspapers with very thin paper so they could be re-used as rolling papers to roll up the mahorka tobacco in for smoking. Each Soviet soldier carried his soup spoon tucked into the top of his boot. That was all that was needed for the army diet and meals: A spoon.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 07:23:37 pm »
Dharma,

Thank you for sharing the family recipes. I love the history to go with them as well. Makes me want to try them even more now with a good back story to accompany them. I have a good friend that is a WW2 buff and likes to eat. This would make an interesting evening indeed. Especially if we cooked it outside in the MI winter for the full effect  ;). Might not be as harsh as over there and no Germans to worry about (minus the one in the mirrior) but I think I will take this along on the next winter camping trip.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 08:20:15 pm »
I've copied and pasted this one in a folder.

Between you and Pat, I got 2 dang good new recipes now!

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:13 pm »
Oh Dharma!!   you can't  stop there,,,this sounds great I love kasha! man post some more of these recipies please I cant wait to try them thanks JeffW