Author Topic: Cold weather = bring on the soups!  (Read 8565 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Cold weather = bring on the soups!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 09:57:55 pm »
I LOVE french onion soup.  The real stuff.  Not from an envelope, sorry. 

So the week before Christmas, I chopped 5 lbs of sweet yellow onions, two bunches of green onions, two leeks, and a handful of chives.  I then crushed 4 cloves of garlic and threw all this together into my larger crockpot.  I carried this out to the detached garage and plugged it in, set for high and 8 hours. 

Once an hour I went out to the garage and stirred the pot.  The onions were sweating down for the first 2 hours.... But then that magical change started, the thing all foodies love...carmelization.  That point when the sugars start to chemically change and darken, causing flavor complexities to explode, I love carmelization! Once the onions had fully carmelized after 8 hours, the whole back yard smelled like rich onioney goodness!  (Now do you know why I didn't do this in the house???)

Mash about half the onions and add a qt of chicken stock, one quart of beef stock, a sprig of thyme and another of rosemary.  Let this simmer on low for about half an hour, without breaking a boil. Correct with salt and pepper to your preference. 

Easiest french onion soup recipe from scratch I have ever seen. Much easier than sweating the onions on the stove in a giant skillet....that's almost an hour of nonstop stirring and you have to have laboratory quality control of your heat source.  Plus, it doesn't leave your house smelling like onions for 6 months.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

Re: Cold weather = bring on the soups!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 05:48:01 am »
Sounds really good JDub !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.