Author Topic: Homemade Broadheads?  (Read 15086 times)

Offline OffTiller

Homemade Broadheads?
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:13:22 pm »
so i am now hunting with my bow and arrow set i made this year. the only thing i am not making is broad heads. looking online i have come across heads made from tie plates, saw blades of many types, spoons and etc... my question is who actually hunts with homemades? it seems everyone know how to make them and everyone says they're confident about their ability to kill but no one, that i've found yet, has actually given testimony that they've actually successfully taken game with them. i just asking because i don't have the experience to decide the best avenue to take.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Homemade Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:23:47 pm »
Twistedlimbs got a video and he shows pictures of deer he killed then shows you how to make the broadhead.  So, there's somebody that has killed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-II5RRoDZD0
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
thanks primitive tim. I have seen spoon points before but the explanation was very thorough and connected the dots on a few gaps that had been missing with other videos. i know weapons can be made from anything, but its nice to see those in action and to see that they are just as effective as my big money broad heads. everyday i am learning to break free of the bonds of the "just go buy it" mentality and this was very appreciated.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »
I killed one with a band saw blade point this year.  It went through bone and didn't hurt the point. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:48:16 pm »
That metal is thin but very strong.  They cut stainless with the saw blades at work so I know its good quality steel.  I add the shaft of a nail behind the point for added weight.  If you need some metal for trade points send me a PM and maybe we can work out a trade.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:50 pm »
I made this one from a 7 1/4" circular saw blade. It killed the biggest buck ive ever got.

Steve Bennett

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »
That is  a monster.  Nice one Turtle!

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:40:42 am »
Thanks for the reply guys. My wonderful wife went out and got me a dremel tool for an early xmas present, so i went out and bought a few spoons, a circular saw blade and a band saw blade. Now maybe a stupid question, while designing my broad heads does it affect anything if i do like turtle or osage outlaw where there is no (don't know the term) extended "tang" or if there is. Obviously the weight - am i over thinking this?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 12:57:41 am »
I'm not sure if there is any benefit between one way or the other.  My first trade point attempts had a tang.  I didn't like the extra work it added to making the point.  I ended up going with the most simple and easy to cut out design. Plus I get more points out of the metal.

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 01:09:02 am »
i also have no good way of even etching out nocks, i have a real hard time filing them out straight, so maybe no tang would allow less room for error.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 09:37:15 am »
I use a chainsaw file for the side notches.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 11:19:35 am »
When I'm making self nocks I make one bandsaw cut then open them to size with a thin bladed knife and sandpaper.
 I prefer to make a simple triangular broadhead with a few slots for hafting.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:39:31 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 05:59:38 pm »
If you have a Dremel now you have every tool needed for cutting a nock out.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »
those are great suggestions using my dremel or bandsaw. I have a chainsaw file and a "file" for my hacksaw - don't know what else it's called but on the packaging it's called 'the incredible blade'. both of those are hard for me to cut straight with, they can get kinda wavy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 07:45:46 pm »
I've tried using 3 hacksaw blades put together, I've tried a ceramic saw(probably what you have) and the single bandsaw cut works the best for me. Even if the cut is off center you can shift it when fitting it to the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC