Author Topic: Homemade Broadheads?  (Read 15087 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Homemade Broadheads?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:59 pm »
notch..nock?????   Is this a confusing post or have I had too many cold ones tonight??? ;D ;D ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 10:11:54 pm »
IMHO I think the trade points/knapped points with "notches" hangs up and does not get as good of penetration as the ones that use a tang or holes instead of notches as Turtle's photo shows.  Smooth / unbroken cutting surface ...?  :-\
DBar
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:15:33 pm by Danzn Bar »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 09:35:02 am »
I believe I use a 9/32 drill bit for my self nocks, and then a utility knife with a new blade.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:50 pm »
IMHO I think the trade points/knapped points with "notches" hangs up and does not get as good of penetration as the ones that use a tang or holes instead of notches as Turtle's photo shows.  Smooth / unbroken cutting surface ...?  :-\
DBar

That's why I like simple Triangle knapped points. I don't care if they come off inside of a critter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 12:41:27 am »
You guys have me thinking now.  When I pulled my trade point out of my deer this year the notches hung up and made it tough to get out.  I wonder if it would have the same affect going in.  I might have to do an experiment if somebody in the family gets another deer this year. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 09:18:10 am »
I've done a little experimenting Clint.....Would appreciate knowing what you come up with.  :) ;)
DBar

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 10:00:24 am »
OK Bill.  I guess it depends on the hunting ability of my mom, wife, son, and niece   :o  There is a very good chance I won't get to experiment on a deer until next fall  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:03 pm »
If you look through Overstreet's arrowhead book, you will see almost every Culture and Region utilized a simple triangle point for use in a Bow. They are simple to make, sharp and you just have to wrap the shaft about an inch and a half down the shaft below the point with sinew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:59 pm »
really appreciate all the feed back. i've only had a few moments to tackle this project over the last couple days, i almost have a few finished up  but hit a road block last night and i have another question. can't remember where i came across it, but saw somewhere that, you should only use hide glue on sinew because using any other glue doesn't allow the sinew to shrink properly, which would defeat the purpose of even attempting a primitive arrow. is there any truth in this. and if so, can i use scraps from tanned hides to make or can i buy raw hide chews to make? thanks
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 12:17:01 am »
really appreciate all the feed back. i've only had a few moments to tackle this project over the last couple days, i almost have a few finished up  but hit a road block last night and i have another question. can't remember where i came across it, but saw somewhere that, you should only use hide glue on sinew because using any other glue doesn't allow the sinew to shrink properly, which would defeat the purpose of even attempting a primitive arrow. is there any truth in this. and if so, can i use scraps from tanned hides to make or can i buy raw hide chews to make? thanks

I think the use of hide glue with sinew mainly aplies to sinew backing. I often use titebond with sinew for arrows to make it more waterproof.
Steve Bennett

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 09:45:58 am »
I chew sinew for arrow wraps. The saliva and sinew makes its own glue. Once that has dried I use super glue or TBIII glue as a waterproof sealer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC