Author Topic: How to process sinew from a goat  (Read 8141 times)

Offline Ishi1234

How to process sinew from a goat
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »
Hello again, and my question implies that I do poses some sinew! My friends dad just culled a male goat and he let me have some sinew from the goat. But the only thing is how do I process it? From getting all of the bacteria out of it to it being able to be used on arrows and the like.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:40:20 am by Ishi1234 »

Offline bisonboy78

Re: How to process sinew from a goat
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:31:52 am »
The one process I like to use for any sinew is put it in a zip lock bag. Once in the bag, place some of your urine in it. I then carefully, very carefully try to get as much air out as possible and seal it. I will leave it outside for not only the smell that will come but any leaks that may occur. I'll leave it in the zip lock for 4 or more days, depends on when I can get to it. After I'm satisfied or have time I'll clean then off with water, make sure you clean them good because later on you won't like the taste. Once they're cleaned individually I'll place them flat on a piece of wood in the shade and let them dry. Doesn't take long to dry, just a day. Then from there its up to you. Just remember, this is how I process it, plenty of other ways, this is just one option for you.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:23:21 pm »
Urine does what?

I scrape any fat and meat away from the sinew. Lay it out somewhere critters cant get to it and let it dry. A few days in the sun or breeze will usually do it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bisonboy78

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:26:55 pm »
it suppose to break down the any fat and help kill the bacteria. Just something I've always done and it's worked for me.

Offline Ishi1234

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:34:09 pm »
Instead of urine couldn't hydrogen peroxide be used to kill off bacteria?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:43:50 pm »
I just clean any fat or slime off of the sinew and air dry it.  It turns rock hard when its dry.  I'd rather deal with a little bacteria than old piss smell  :P

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 07:37:54 am »
I would be concerned the urine enzymes would break down the sinew matrix a bit more than Id want. But hey, if it works for you. I don't think you could rinse it well enough for my tastes to chew on it!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:27:44 am »
Urine? :o. Contrary to various old wives tales, urine is not only NOT a sterilizing agent, it's not sterile at all.  Not only does it contain bacteria when fresh, even when it's still in the bladder, it is a near perfect medium to grow bacteria after it is expelled.  It is also a concentration of all the toxins and waste that your body has worked so hard to rid itself of and now you want to soak your sinew in it?  Sinew that will more than likely be put back in your mouth to prepare it for use.  No thank you.   I believe I will stick with the tried and true method of scraping it clean, washing it with dish soap, thoroughly rinsing it, and then hanging it up to thoroughly dry.  Not only due to hygienic concerns, but as Pearly stated to preserve the integrity of my sinew.  Urine was used in the old days to partially breakdown rawhide so that it would make a more supple leather.  Josh

Offline bisonboy78

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
Never had a pissy taste on the sinew I've collected that way let alone poor quality. I've even let some sit in a zip lock bag for over a month, after washing them with nothing but the outside tap water, dried in the shade on a 2x4 and it turned out great. Never had the time to do the other ways that are listed. I just piss in a bag and save it (away from the house/kids) for when I have time to process it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 09:12:44 pm »
You could just freeze it until you have time to process it
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bisonboy78

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 10:03:05 pm »
LOL! Sometimes the easiest thing is right in front of you. Now I have to convince the wife for more room.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 01:15:29 am »
urine is actually used to tan certain leathers, I guess if it works for you keep at it, but not this guy :laugh :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »
Just get it as clean as you can by scraping and washing, then put it up to dry. As far as getting it ready to use it depends on wether it is leg or back sinew. Back sinew is easily seperated by rolling and twisting it in your hands and then pull the strands apart with yor fingers. Leg tendons must be pounded to get them to seperate. I use a hammer. Some use rocks.
Steve Bennett

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »
Try to get the hide and make rawhide from it. Goat rawhide is very thin but strong and makes great bow backings.
 If you are worried about bacteria just wash the shredded sinew in Dawn dish soap and rinse with warm water. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC