Author Topic: Tiller change  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Jjpso

Tiller change
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:51 am »
Hello guys.

1 month ago i finishes a withe oak board bow.
It was my best till now and was(am) really pleased with it.
When i finishes the tillering process, there was one limb that was 1/8 inch stiffer, so it because the lower one.
I shaped the handle a bit, and have been shooting it in almost a daily basis.
Today i measured the brace heigth again and found out. that the lower limb is bending more around 1/8 inch than the upper limb.
Is this change normal? Should i just flip the bow or leave as it is?
I shoot some arrows with the bow up side down and i think i am more acurate as i left it in the begining ...
Hope someone can help

Thanks

Joćo Pedro

Offline Gaust

Re: Tiller change
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:05:12 am »
Typically, that's what happens a lot to me.  The lower limb is stressed more than the upper.  I wouldn't worry about 1/8", especially if you seem to be more accurate that way.   Keep shooting it and if it gets worse, I would consider flipping it for the bow's longevity.
George

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:28:23 pm »
yes you can flip the bow ,, no worries,, this is pretty normal,, I think sometimes that is why bows have a bottom limb shorter,,, the bowyer just adjusted the tiller by making new string nocks,, everyone thinks it was designed that way,, but probably a tiller fix,, you could put a temp tie on nock on the bottom limb to see how it shoots with a little stiffer limb,, but as stated above, 1/8 is not something to worry about especially if the bow is shooting well,, like you said,, the bow string may be better aligned with the bow flipped,, making better arrow flight,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 02:25:04 pm »
It happens and I used to notice that on my bows. It is because it is impossible to approximate how you hold the bow when it is on the rope and pulley.

Then, I started finishing up the tiller  while drawing in front of a mirror  or by having my wife snap  a digi pic.

I aim for even tiller while drawing or for slightly strong bottom limb.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 02:53:56 pm »
Thanks guys, good to see that is not just me!!
George tsoukalas, what would you do? Turn the bow or leave is as it is?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:45:48 pm »
If the bow was shooting well, I would leave it.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 02:27:46 am »
But if it's already started to move tiller balance then it won't get better. I would weaken the upper limb to give me a positive tiller of around an 1/8th.
Different people also put different stresses on the limbs. George is dead on about the pulley v. hand drawn. I usually head to about 18 - 20 inches of draw on the tiller tree then move to drawing by hand and checking the balance between the limbs only after i've shot it at least 20 times. Weak lower limbs can be avoided but only if you know about the potential problem.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:38:22 am »
A weak lower limb after break in is what I see in my bows quite often, it has occurred much less often once I started making my lower limb 1" shorter than the top.

When I made equal length limbs, I often cut an inch off the lower limb when it went weak to bring the limbs back into balance without loosing any poundage. Often the lower was way too strong after removing an inch so retillering was necessary.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »
if the bow shoots flipped, there is no need to re tiller