Author Topic: Scraping question  (Read 1593 times)

Offline DC

Scraping question
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:51:32 pm »
I have been using this knife for scraping. It does a beautiful job but it's hard on my arthritic hands. I made the handle in hopes it would be easier on me. If I put a squared off proper "scraper" blade in it it works, just OK. I thought I would make a knife blade for it so it would be like the knife only easier on my hands. It chatters when I scrape with it. The knife never chatters. Any ideas what would cause this?

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Scraping question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:16:15 pm »
I would try extending the blade either more or less from the body of tool till you find the sweet spot.  Also, try skewing the angle of the tool when using it.  Russ

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:23:50 pm »
I had the blade out about 3/16". Dropped it to 1/8" and problem solved. Thank you. It still doesn't cut quite as nice as the knife but that could be the edge isn't quite as good.
Thanks again!

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »
  Usually a scraper is sharpened at 90 degrees much different than a knife blade. How did you sharpen your scraper?

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:49:13 pm »
I use a tool similar to yours and I put a slight hook on the edge of mine - just like the hook that goes on a hand held scraper, only smaller.

Skewing the angle of the tool will also help make the cut nicer. 

Russ

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:02:24 pm »
On the scraper, decrease the angle of attack to stop the chatter. Jawge
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:15:10 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
  Usually a scraper is sharpened at 90 degrees much different than a knife blade. How did you sharpen your scraper?
When I made the scraper I put a square edge on it (like a cabinet scraper) and it worked OK but not as good as the knife. So I made a knife edged blade for it. That's the one that chattered. It's all good now that I sunk the blade a little deeper into the handle. I'm going to make a better cabinet scraper blade for it.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:33 am »
Sharpen the scraper into a one beveled knife edge. Face the bevel away from the direction you're pulling the tool towards to. So the scraper makes a 90 degree angle with the wood. Have the blade protrude only about 1/32" (maybe 1/64") from the sole of the tool.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286