Author Topic: Trial and (mostly) error. First stave attempt  (Read 6163 times)

Offline mhof86

Re: Trial and (mostly) error. First stave attempt
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 02:15:04 pm »
Thanks Del and Brad, Blackhawk suggested the same thing also. With the next one (this ones twin from the same split log) I will not be taking it out that far. I have high hopes for the next one with my gathered knowledge building this one. It was a lot more work than the board bows I am used to but it felt more rewarding... well up until its untimely death.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 03:31:23 pm »
That was actually a nice little stave and didn't turn into an ugly bow at all.

If I may suggest for next time, though, when you rough out the bow, really concentrate on getting it either the same thickness all along, or to a consistent thickness taper.  Once established they are easy  to keep.  Establishing a good starting point helps a LOT.  these days, if I can get a bow roughed out without problems, I can almost always finish it to weight.

Then build yourself a caul and learn to either steam or dry heat the the limbs to symetry (and take out that twist that gave you trouble)  Side to side wiggles will give you much less trouble than front/ back.  I STILL can't tiller a bow well with one reflexed and one deflexed limb. or with one bulging middle and the othe R/D.  Can't do it.

I don't think that was such a bad effort.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »
What a shame    :o   I could see that bending right out of the fade area.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 07:43:15 pm »
Bummer buddy. It happens to us all. In hindsight you probably could have gone shorter with the handle, it just takes away from the limbs.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.