Author Topic: Question About Vine Maple  (Read 2804 times)

Offline tlow13

Question About Vine Maple
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »
Gentleman,

I am heading home to Western Washington for Thanksgiving break and I am planning on harvesting some Vine Maple staves and I have a few questions.

I understand what to look for as far as the curvature of the limb goes, and how it is ideal to cut the log in half so that the side facing the sun is one piece to allow a natural reflex. What I'm curious about is the best way to split the limb. I don't have a bandsaw but I do have a table saw, I also have a maul, axe and some other tools that could be used to split the limb. Would it be ideal to find a neighbor or friend with a bandsaw to split the stave or can it be done through other means?

Also I know it is winter time so debarking might be harder, so should I put it in the shower then debark it. Then after debarking I have read that some will rough out the stave into the general bow shape. If that is correct I am curious at what point I should seal the ends during this whole process? Also do I need to be very concerned about violating a ring on the back with Vine Maple?

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not brand new to bow making, but I am new to Vine Maple and I have tried my hand at board bows, so I figured this would be the best way to get more primitive and natural.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Question About Vine Maple
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:32:55 pm »
the best way, bc VM grows with naturally twisted grain. is to use the bandsaw.
even though its winter the bark will come off just fine.
yes seal the last 4-6" of the stave.
ring violations on VM really arent that big of a deal, as long as you take care of them properly and feather them out, and make them smooth.
if you want to season the stave faster then yes. rough the shape of the bow out and clamp it down or the stave will warp, or get too much reflex to deal with. there is always taking the reflex out with heat, but why do more work than you need to.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:57:25 pm »
Good advice from Bryce. unlike him, I don't find much spiral grained VM. I have found a few, but not many.I've had good luck with splitting. Cut more than you think you need- VM can warp badly while drying. Like B said, clamp straight while drying.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline tlow13

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:02:45 pm »
Awesome! Thank you Bryce and aaron. I will be sure to cut some extra and take both of your advice.

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »
What area are you going to?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:08:05 pm »
In my experiences, VM will wander really bad if roughed out to soon.
Clamp it solid to a 2x4 or a caul, leave plenty of extra width.
I found it also helped to put some long screws on either side of tips sticking
Out a bit. Tension wood curls pretty hard, and also goes left or right.
Ive had luck splitting some, and have ruined some trying.
I usually opt to use a hatchet

Offline tlow13

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:51:29 pm »
I am going to school in Utah right now but my family lives in an area north east of Seattle called Woodinville. I have seen backyards and other areas full of Vine Maple so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a few good staves.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:07 pm »
Good stuff already said. I will add that the best vine maple is that which grows out and up off a slope. Dont go after the radical stuff, but just a little off from straight upward. Also, if you are finding stuff with more character than you wish to tackle, then look for billet lengths.  Lots more common to find the billet lengths in good form. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:36:47 pm »
Good stuff already said. I will add that the best vine maple is that which grows out and up off a slope. Dont go after the radical stuff, but just a little off from straight upward. Also, if you are finding stuff with more character than you wish to tackle, then look for billet lengths.  Lots more common to find the billet lengths in good form.

I agree with all that has been said. Carson is right....... I generally target billet size pieces whenever I am looking for wood, but keep my eye out for nice staves, heck of a lot harder to find. Also look at smaller stock, A limb bow makes nice little bows, and are generally easier to find.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline aaron

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:24:01 am »
right, don't ignore the small stuff. if it's as big as a shovel handle and straight, cut it.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA