Author Topic: Bighorn sheep bow Shoshone set.  (Read 33605 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Bighorn sheep bow Shoshone set.
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 05:51:06 pm »
Wow is right!   :o ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 03:29:03 am »
Here is the handle splice. The first picture is the museum bow

In which museums this type of bows are exhibited?
tell me more about the history and story of these sinew-horn bows without wood core pls.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 10:58:40 pm »
Lee, the handle I tried to match is in the Pinedale Wyoming museum. The tips of this bow have more recurve than the old bow but that happens to bighorns naturally. 

Offline Traxx

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 07:22:37 pm »
The bows are known to be made by the Mountain Shoshone also called the Sheepeater or Tukadika.Tukadika,actually means meat eater in the Numic language.They were called sheepeater,because their primary source of animal protein was from the mountain bighorn sheep,in which they drove and herded the animals into traps with the aid of their dogs.They made their bows out of the sheephorns and backed heavily with sinew.The Tukadika were a mountain people who did not acquire the horse and other trappings of the plains culture,as their other relatives,but relied mostly on the mountains for their survival.They were also known for their quailty brain tan buckskin and the hides and bows were a highly sought after trade item by others.the tukadika were thought of as a very spiritual and sacred people,by other shoshone people down in the plains and valleys.Early pioneers to the region described them as small almost pygmy type people who were generally friendly to those that did not show aggression toward them and described them as a poor people because of their lack of possessions,but i wonder if that was a misjudgment on the part of the observer.It is often said,that other bands traded the tukadika for the sheep horn bow and while that may have been true in the beginning,i cant believe that other people didnt develop and make the bows for themselves. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 01:18:01 am »
Thanks for the History and insight. That is the first time I've heard that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 01:23:09 am »
No problem Eddie.

They were a fascinating people.Im very impressed by their resistance to modern technology.They used obsidian points and blades up until their disappearance from the area.That,is up to speculation as to how it happened.Some say they were removed after Yellowstone was made a National park and having them there,made the tourist nervous.An explorer and journalist,claims he interviewed the last of them,in an old woman taken in by the Crow.She claimed a small pox infected Tybo,came into their camp and infected them and caused her to be the last one.Im inclined to believe her story,but i guess well never really know.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »
So awesome. I love that bow.