Author Topic: problem with red oak board  (Read 3699 times)

Glenn R.

problem with red oak board
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:31:32 pm »
I foung a nice straight red oak board, straight grained, 1 x 3 at the lumberyeard and bought it to make a youth bow. Thinking it was too dry I put it outside in the damp weather for 4--5 days. Then took into my shop to dry and normalize to the humidity level. The board twisted badly--not straight enough now. Aside from steaming now, what should I have done? Should I have made the bow even though thre board was kiln dried. Haven't tried making board bows before. My intent was a youth bow 25--30# about 48" long. Any ideas would be great.   GLENN.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: problem with red oak board
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59:09 pm »
A board shouldn't really be too dry if it's been in your shop a few days. Outside was probably way too damp for it and it picked up too much moisture. My wife works for a company that kiln dries oak lumber, and she says the standard is to dry it to somewhere between 6-8%. After it leaves the kiln, though, it will normalize to the local humidity. Around here, the big problem is getting/keeping wood dry enough. Most whitewoods would be like noodles if I left them in my unheated workshop.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 12:51:38 am »
You could rehydrate the wood and clamp it to a board until it dries.
   I make picture frames for my wife's watercolors. When I purchase wood for the frames I let them stabilize in my basement shop for a week or more before I saw it to frame pieces. I learned long ago to do this or the wood will move if not stable for your area.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:34:32 am »
I agree with Pat,clamp it to a board for a few days. You might also want to check out ruuderbows.com they have a decent how to build a  board bow dvd or check out George T. stuff on board bows its good too.Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:45:04 am »
Hi,
The ideal moiture content, for any bow wood, is around 9%. Most kiln dried wood is around the 8 - 10% area, so you really don't have to do anything with it before you start, especially if you're making such a light weight bow. Hickory and oak are really poor with too much moisture. They take a great deal of set, and have poor cast, if they're too wet. If you've found a nice, straight piece of anything, make some sawdust!!

Glenn R.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:13:54 pm »
Thanks guys--I'll rehydrate it and clamp til dry ;)