Author Topic: Shooting practice?  (Read 5612 times)

Offline punch

Shooting practice?
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:14:47 pm »
I was wondering peoples opinion on shooting practice at short range.  I have been practicing shooting everyday in my garage and as you can imagine that is pretty short around 6-7 yards.  I have been practicing mostly to build up the callous on my hands since I use an assisted pinch grip and I don't wear a glove.  If I don't practice regularly the callous goes away.  I have been wondering if shooting at such close range is going to hurt or help my long range shooting.  I usually don't get much long range practice in maybe 3-4 times a month.  What are your thoughts?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Shooting practice?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:24:22 pm »
First of all welcome to PA.......
Practicing at close range is very important for good form....be very deliberate with you draw and stance, concentrate on pushing and pulling.  follow through is important, after releasing the arrow your hand should be behind your ear and do not drop your bow holding arm until the arrow hits the target.
Just my two cents on practice.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »
Like DBar said short range practice is good for working on your form. 6 to 7 yards is a conceivable hunting distance but you'll need longer range distances to improve your longer range shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:37:05 pm »
I keep a block target in my garage for short practice sessions. I shoot all my bows at it on different occasions. They will help to keep muscle memory and form in good shape. You get the advantage of keeping your fingers hard. Just pulling the bow is worth the time.

I would like to see a photo of your pinch method of shooting. Welcome to the PA Forum.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline punch

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:22:16 pm »
I use the same style as this guy in the attachment except I draw past my ear. I draw about 33". I shoot at a quarter sized sticker.  I also wear a face mask and my hunting hat so I don't have to change the way I shoot when I hunt.

http://www.kumeyaay.info/indian_bows_arrows.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:25:45 pm by punch »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:42:41 am »
oh the tertiary grip!  I shoot like that too.  In my opinion I don't see why short range practice would hurt but when you back up  further you may be disappointed cause you're not as accurate as you'd like to be. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »
short range is good practice,, all practice can help in one way or the other,, :)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »
Yep, short range or longer range ... it's all good.  Though I find myself being less serious about form/focus as range gets shorter, and that's bad on me.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline punch

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 12:57:58 pm »
My close range is getting pretty good now.  I am down to a golf ball size whiffel ball hanging on a string with the goal of hitting the small holes in it. I give it a good swing and hit the ball about 80% of the time with a few thru the hole I am aiming at.  Need to work on my long range now.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:19:16 pm »
I think it's important. I shot over a deer at 6 yards w.hen it dropped and ducked.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 01:15:17 pm »
  That tpye of release is'nt for long distance shooting anyways.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:54 pm »
Form is the same at 5 or 50 yards.  Thoughtful practice of form will pay dividends.  Of course, it's important to get plenty of practice at your hunting distances and beyond prior to season.  So seek longer distances and more realistic situations prior.  good luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 10:20:41 am »
  Get yourself a judo and stump shoot that's how I do almost all my practice. I've only lost one in  100,000 shots. Stump shooting every shots different. What better practice is that. Doing this you get into the grove and your true forum comes out. I've always call this the hunter form.

If you shoot allot at unknown distances you'll get to into true form naturally. When the shot arises you pick a spot draw ankor. Go but you hands on those big %$#@ horns. It all comes naturally.

Heres one of the things I've I've kinda lived by. and it works on most situations. It's the KISS METHOD.
  KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPIT  I learned this from granddaddy as a kid up. Always worked for me.

NOT SAYING YOU DON'T NEED THE BASIC'S

If I'm shooting at fome in the yard it's someone Else's bow or I'm matching shoot arrows to the bow I have made.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING