Author Topic: Raw hide from dog chews?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Raw hide from dog chews?
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:51:33 am »
I have heard some of you say you get your rawhide from dog chews. Are they long enough to cover a whole limb or do you piece them together. I also assume you just want the unflavored kind. Do you just soak them until they are pliable and untie them?  Thanks in advance for any input thats helpful.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Raw hide from dog chews?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:41 am »
Dog chews will work but they are cow rawhide which is thick. You should reduce the thickness and you will probably have to splice them at mid limb.
 Ask on Trading Post for deer or goat rawhide strips. You will have to splice almost any rawhide. I usually overlap two strips at the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:24 am »
Thanks pat will do.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:32 pm »
I use dog chews from time to time. The huge dog bones, or even better this time of year the ones shaped like huge candy canes produce several 40 or so inch strips. The insides are filled with small pieces though.  They can work great if you put them on wet and stretch them like crazy as you glue them to the back.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »
I use them frequently.  Soak them in water to untie.  Lay them out on a flat board and nail them down to stretch and flatten them.  They will dry hard and shrink a little.  Take out nails and sand them smooth and flat.  Sometimes I do this process more than once.  As Pat says, they are quite thick and uneven, so the thinning is necessary.  Once thinned out, wet again to use on the bow.  They are usually not long enough, so I overlap at the handle.

Russ 

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »
Maybe you could use the flavored ones as an attractant for coyote hunting???

Offline eponym

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:46:58 pm »
I recently soaked and untied a large dog chew and it resulted in one wide (wide enough for 2 strips) piece about 35" long.

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:38 am »
Maybe you could use the flavored ones as an attractant for coyote hunting???
haha best comment ever! Someone should give this a try!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:36:18 pm »
The ones I get take days to soak and wrestle flat.  Hot water helps.  They also need to be decreased.  The best application I had I scraped the inside to get the fluffy steff reduced.   The scrubbed it with dawn on the inside using a scrub brush.   Wiped the wood with alchohol prior to gluing.

The one I didn't do this degreasing to came off when it shrank.  IMO for the effort I'd say buy a deer or goat rawhide.  Use what you need and sell or trade away the rest. 

I used a card scraper to thin after it was glued down.