Author Topic: Knapping in Texas  (Read 27838 times)

Offline le0n

Re: Knapping in Texas
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 03:06:03 am »
^^ i do need to check out one of the nearest landscaping places and just see what they have in stock.

in regards to the timeline, there's going to be a gap. due to the card failure, i don't have any photographs (time/date stamps) from sometime in may to early september. looking back, that's about the time when it got hot in houston and i took a break from knapping due to the glass flakes sticking to my skin (no air condition in the garage).

anyway, below is a shot of some pieces i still have access to. we're in the process of moving and a few of the later ones i kept on display were removed from the living room shelf and are now placed into a box somewhere. i can safely state that these were done before it got too hot outside  ;)

i can also safely state that i've ruined two to three times more than what you see in that photograph. some while working, lots while notching and some i just flat out fumbled onto the concrete floor when i was finishing them.

Offline le0n

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 03:25:00 am »
september

the bottom fell out of the skyy, so i knapped it:

materials: Skyy bottle bottom

found this one from late september:

materials: wine bottle (can't recall the brand but i do like the shade of green)

on the 30th:

materials: Guinness Draught bottle bottom (some of these bottoms are rather flat)

Offline le0n

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 03:47:20 am »
november

i got some rock from 3rivers not too long ago. went at it with the antlers tonight; after pre-forming with the bopper. no abrading.
it was an odd-shaped spall so it took a lot of material removal to get moving in the right direction.

the b-side

materials: dacite

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 12:51:36 pm »
Wow! Coming a long way! I wish I had kept some of my first points to check my progress... but they did make good gifts haha. Looking forward to your next piece of art

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 08:51:57 am »
That's a lot of glass knapping there! Progression looks fine.

If your in the Houston area and looking for chert theirs some nice pieces around the bank at sea wolf park. Just don't let them see ya. Lol. And who knows, may load up on flounder while your at it.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 01:53:21 pm »
You are a "napper "    You are doing good work there  now all you have to do is find you a rock source     Welcome to the art              '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline le0n

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 04:55:27 pm »
Thanks, guys.

Seawolf, you say, hah hah. I'd get caught.

I was just eyeing the flower bed at my in-laws place  >:D

Offline le0n

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 03:17:35 am »
i'm starting the year off with a nasty point.

just chewed this one up with a small tine:

materials: obsidian
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:24:15 am by le0n »

Offline le0n

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 03:05:38 am »
had some free time for an ugly spall this evening:

materials: dacite

Offline le0n

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 02:53:28 am »
yes, there was blood.

it was on the other hand, hah hah. a flake found its way between the tool and i:

i really need more thinning practice:

i quit while i was ahead though

materials: obsidian

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:55 pm »
I've been told that if you cannot stand the sight of your own blood this hobby is not for you lol
Looking good, keep m coming ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Tower

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 08:08:10 pm »
The black stains on our leathers isn't perminent marker.   It's the tale tale trace of the price we pay to endeavor to mimic the masters of old.  Knap On
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline le0n

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
i made it out to Roundrock, Tx this weekend in hopes of getting to navigate some creek beds for materials. due to time restraints, i only managed to visit a landscaping supply company in Georgetown, Tx.

they didn't have a "flint" bin on the premises, but i was able to find some promising pieces of "Colorado River Bull Rock". it was only $0.07/lb and they allowed me to pick out what i wanted from the bins. after about 30 minutes of acoustic testing with a small hammer stone, i walked away with 60lbs of nodules for less than 5 dollars.

only two of the larger nodules gave a really sharp ring when tapped, but this morning i was getting some decent spalls from one of the 'softer' rocks.

i'll post back with some photographs and perhaps someone can help identify what i actually have, because i didn't see "bull rock" on the PA rock resource thread.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 11:47:23 pm »

Amazing that little leaf piece didn't break off, just shows you how frightening sharp Obsidian is.  I have cut myself, pretty good many times, and did not know I was cut, till I noticed either the rock getting slick, or sticky, or noticed blood dripping onto the floor. :o  You are certainly coming along pretty fast!  Doing excellent.
                                   Wayne

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 11:52:29 pm »
They didn't have a "flint" bin on the premises, but i was able to find some promising pieces of "Colorado River Bull Rock". it was only $0.07/lb and they allowed me to pick out what i wanted from the bins. after about 30 minutes of acoustic testing with a small hammer stone, i walked away with 60lbs of nodules for less than 5 dollars.

Way to go Leon!  That's the way to do it.  Some of that "bull gravel" will heat up nicely, so you might try it if it's too tough in the raw state.  I know of a landscape supply in Round Rock also.  I wonder if it's the same place I've been to.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr