Author Topic: noob questions  (Read 1546 times)

Offline tiger1809

noob questions
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:25:08 pm »
So I made my first bow this past weekend out of red oak.  I really enjoyed the experience of making it using hand tools and the quality at which it seems to of come out.  I'll post pics when I get some..would love to get some.feed back on it.

So on to the questions. 
First I wanna make another bow in the style of what I believe is called a reflex recurve (correct me if my terminology is wrong) where the tips bend back in towards the back of the bow..so how do I bend the tips..what 8th the process for it.

Also what kind of glue it'll epoxy do yall.have use to laminate bone or horn onto the bow?

Thank yall.have for any help and advise.

Offline arachnid

Re: noob questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:21:46 am »
Hi and welcome to PA.
I remember myself after making my first straight bow wanting to make a reflex/deflex bow.
After a faw failed attempts I took a faw steps back and made several more straight bow, training myself at tillering,
gluing and designing my bows better. Straight bow are a real fun to make and shoot as good as any other bow, provided you
design it properly and use the right materials.

I`m don`t want to discourage you but I`d suggest taking things slowly.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction! ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: noob questions
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:39:24 am »
+1
BUT...
If you really want to try a little bending, then it's dry heat or steam.
Easiest is to make a straight bow and before it's shot too many arrows, bend a little gentle reflex into the limb tips using steam or heat.
Look at my blog (Bowyers Diary) and seach for heat bending or steam bending)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.