Author Topic: fence post progress  (Read 9182 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: fence post progress
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 01:08:15 am »
Therapists are often overly optimistic.

Not mine, I have beaten him down to my level!  Bwahaha!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 04:49:26 am »
That is one scary stave;-).

It seems to me that pretty much only Osage grows these meandering/snakey structures....looks good:-)

Cheers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 04:53:40 am »
I remember that piece, hard to forget one like that. Good luck and keep us fence post/ed  on the progress;) ;D ;D ;D OK OK I was trying to be funny. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 06:56:54 am »
Gnarly!  Good luck!
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »
I remember that piece, hard to forget one like that. Good luck and keep us fence post/ed  on the progress;) ;D ;D ;D OK OK I was trying to be funny. :)
   Pappy

...and succeeding.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 03:09:53 pm »
 " I did find a few places in it where the grain in the growth rings seems to switch direction. It was all about 1/2 to 3/4" deeper than the ring i established for the back. Makes the grain on the belly look strange but i think most of that will be gone when finished.....if it survives"

Do you mean by this that the grain in an older growth ring dioesn't follow your snakes in your chased ring, so the two are parallel back to front, but skewed side to side?

If so, I'm sure angle of violation matters, but I would bet money you'll be ok 90% of the time.  I have seen this in black locust, and the only major problem was that it wanted to tear out in long gouges as I split and roughed it out, so I was worried about having enough width on the belly. but it should hold, taking the compression, unless it's wildly off.

That is a cool as heck stave.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »
Do you mean by this that the grain in an older growth ring dioesn't follow your snakes in your chased ring, so the two are parallel back to front, but skewed side to side?

Yes. That is what i meant. I dont think it will be a problem but it can cause an edged tool to dig in and tear out places if not careful.
Steve Bennett