Author Topic: How to collect long pieces of sinew  (Read 8802 times)

Offline osage outlaw

How to collect long pieces of sinew
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:09:40 am »
I picked up some deer legs today and thought I would post some pictures about collecting longer length pieces from deer legs.  There have been some questions about collecting sinew lately.  I'm not sure if this info has been posted before.

I use a hook blade utility knife to unzip the back of the leg.  I start with the outer tendon and follow it up to the point of the knee/hock/or whatever you want to call it.  It will flare out at the point and continue up for a few inches.  Just cut it off where it transitions into muscle.

I move it out of the way and cut the sheath around the rest of the tendons up as far as I can into the joint.

Above the joint I find the large bundle of sinew and cut it as it turns into the muscle.  Make sure and completely separate it from the muscle fibers.

Flip the leg over and cut the small tendon next to the bone loose from the muscle.

If you have them separated from the muscle they will easily pull out from below the joint.  If they don'e come loose they are probably still attached to the muscle somewhere.

Down at the other end cut the skin down to each hoof pad.

You can follow the sinew to where it goes into the hoof.  Cut it off there and cut the sheath loose.

What you are left with is a long piece leg of sinew.  The front legs are similar except the sinew runs up the inside of the joint and they are shorter but easier to remove.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: How to collect long pieces of sinew
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:59:19 am »
Thanks for posting, I just did this for the 5th time Thursday. I'm getting pretty good at it now. I just need more deer to practice with! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 02:30:13 pm »
Excellent description, Clint!  With your technique, people will get a good 4-5 inches more sinew per leg.  Short sinew is still sinew...but most of the heartache of working with sinew is that is could always stand to be a bit longer. 

Advice like this is certainly worth the price of admission to this site!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:09 pm »
  Thanks for posting this Clint... 8)
                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »
Excellent description, Clint!  With your technique, people will get a good 4-5 inches more sinew per leg.  Short sinew is still sinew...but most of the heartache of working with sinew is that is could always stand to be a bit longer. 

Advice like this is certainly worth the price of admission to this site!

Well said, JW!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:08:06 pm »
Very nice, Osage. Owe you one! Was that from a whitetail or a mule deer, not that it makes any difference?

8)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:24:18 pm »
It was from a whitetail.  Glad this helped you out.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 04:25:32 am »
Just saw this Clint. Bravo - well done ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 02:56:23 pm »
It's that time of year again. Thought I would bring this back to life. I've been doing quite a bit of sinew removal lately myself. Got about 2 dozen legs left in the fridge right now! Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »
Thanks a bunch Clint!
Patrick