Author Topic: Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)  (Read 3571 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »
This is the Errol Flynn version wherein our hero, Howard Hill, actually does a great part of the shooting scenes!  It's showing today on Turner Classic Movies. 

Still my all time favorite archery movie!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

Re: Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:03 pm »
yup good flick JW, also filmed 40 mins from my house
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:17:31 pm »
Wow!  You live in Sherwood Forest?!?!   ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 04:47:25 pm »

By the way, Owen the Welshman is played by none other than Howard Hill, although he does not get credited. 

Excerpted this from Wikipedia:
"Stunt men and bit players, padded with balsa wood on metal plates, were paid $150 per arrow for being shot by professional archer Howard Hill, although listed as the archer captain defeated by Robin, was cast as Owen the Welshman, an archer seen shooting at Robin in his escape from Nottingham castle and, later, defeated by Robin at the archery tournament. To win, Robin splits the arrow of Philip of Arras, a captain of the guard under Gisbourne, who had struck the bullseye. An examination of the film images in slow motion led to speculation[who?] that the arrow split may have been made of bamboo and had been previously split, the parts being held together with small rings. Buster Wiles - a stuntman and close friend of Errol Flynn - maintains that the arrow splitting stunt was carried out using an extra large arrow (for the target) and that the second arrow had a wide, flat arrowhead and was fired along a wire. Wiles discusses the scene in his autobiography, My Days With Errol Flynn."

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:46:14 pm »

Close enough jw, they filmed it in bidwell park in chico

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:31:00 pm »
I visited that park when I first moved to Los Angeles long ago.  Lotsa movies got made there, it seems. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:08:40 pm »
I visited that park when I first moved to Los Angeles long ago.  Lotsa movies got made there, it seems. 

LA jw, must a stopped on the way to, were 12 hrs from LA thank God

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:58:23 am »

I have that tape, and...... a VHS player to watch it on!  My all time favorite Robin Hood movie, even better than the Costner version.  Errol Flynn was an amazing man.  I saw a history, or biography on him, and they were interviewing the guy who taught him fencing, and he also taught for the Olympics, and when asked if Flynn was actually any good, the guy said, that if he had entered the Olympics, he would have gotten a gold medal.  He was that good!  I also happened to go to England, back in 91, with a friend who's father lays claim to being the illegitimate son of Errol Flynn.  When you see his picture, and Errol Flynn's side by side, it looks like clones.  We went to England with the World Clown Society, and while there, met with the head of the Errol Flynn Society.  Really nice man, and his wife was equally gracious.  But I guess that goes with the English, and guests.  I guess poor Howard was not a member of the Actor's Guild.  But Hollywood being Hollywood, just couldn't give credit where credit was due.  Still can't.  I guess that was pretty good money in the 40's, for getting shot with an arrow.  Sort of like three weeks pay for each arrow in the back. :o

Wayne

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 05:14:20 am »
Yes I caught it - My favorite movie also ! Did You see the Howard Hill shooting bit that followed ? Too cool ! AMC was on a roll yesterday - caught the Rogers Rangers movie. I believe it's called Northwest Passage w/Spencer Tracy, Robert Young and Walter Brennan. PS - Howard Hill is listed in the credits as the "Captain of the Archers" . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline neuse

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:28:59 am »
Great movie.
I hit record to save for whenever I want to watch.