Author Topic: Tree id help  (Read 8030 times)

Offline kid bow

Re: Tree id help
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 08:46:56 am »
That helps me out alot
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 09:57:39 am »
I looked at the Audubon Field Guide Tree book and saw no bark that looked like the pics shown. Definitely need more info for an ID.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 11:04:13 am »
Sycamore has two different bark phases...the younger trunks,or upper sections will have the unmistakeable white which phases to having green n grey splotches(like a camo pattern) before it matures to the grey flaky/scaly bark down low on the trunk.

Offline RAU

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 11:06:20 am »
Agreed with the previous need more info. I Espescially say this after seeing only the Bark of that kentucky Smoke tree. If youd have asked me what that was Id have bet my life it was a cherry. The Wild Black Cherry tree Bark around here looks EXACTLY like that! Hard to tell whats what from just a pic of bark

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 07:56:00 pm »
I have only seen smoke trees planted as ornamentals around here.  I've never encountered them in the woods.  The bark of the one pictured looks more like KY coffeetree to me.  I've worked in the woods for the last 25 years, winter dendrology is one of my strengths.  That is sycamore kid bow posted...

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 08:59:07 pm »
Steve Bennett

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 06:42:29 am »
Yep, went and took a couple of pictures myself this weekend. :) What Chris said on the upper trunk.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good