Author Topic: Brothers Pic Heavy  (Read 1998 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Brothers Pic Heavy
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:31:10 pm »
My sister asked if I could make a bow for my brother in law for Christmas. As I am a very slow bow builder I didn't think that it would be possible. Tyke had just finished tillering a stave from Mullet and offered it to me. I have taken about 2 weeks to finish the bow. When I got it from Tyke is was 71 inches tip to tip, pulling about 28# at 30. My sister said that my BIL may want to hunt with it, so I had to make a few modifications. I cut 3 inches off each end, and put down 2 layers of white tail sinew. The tips are a modified Pin Knock made from Elk antler. I added a few small pieces of Timber rattlesnake skins mid limb. I added some glyphs that represent the bow itself and my BIL. Brothers, as it is the name of the bow, a turkey foot for my BIL's light hearted freedom, a dragon fly to give the bow a little more snap, and a turtle for long life, of my BIL firstly, and the bow secondly. The handle wrap is a buffalo hide wrap. The end result is 65 inches tip to tip, 42# at 30 inches (tillered out to 32, Tyke makes some bendy bows). The string is 10 strands of B50. The name is because I received this from my brother (Tyke) and am passing it on to mine. I'll post a braced and full draw tomorrow.

The Wood is Osage.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:35:26 pm by JoJoDapyro »
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JoJoDapyro

Re: Brothers Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:32:00 pm »
Some more photos. Top knock, Bottom knock.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:32:35 pm »
And more  >:D

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:48:09 am »
you didn't say what kind of wood it is.  I like the decorations tho. 

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:40:47 am »
Phenomenal- that baby has real primitive spirit. Looks to be a really sweet shooter! :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Tyke

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »
Its osage jeff its the bow i posted about a month ago that had the small crack on the pin knot i had taken off two growth rings of to get passed the crack which took the weight from 50# down to the mid 30# range
why buy it when you can build it

Offline Tyke

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »
Bravo on the repairs joe good salvage i thought i was gonna have to give it to my 6 yr old niece now some poor canadian gets it ay
why buy it when you can build it