Author Topic: Glue for field points  (Read 3618 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Glue for field points
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:32 am »
What is the best glue to hold an arrow fieldpoint on? I used a glue stick from 3 Rivers and the fist point came off on my first shot.

Grasshopper Mouse

Re: Glue for field points
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 12:33:53 pm »
I quit using hot melt glue for tips years ago. Now I use only epoxy.
I find epoxy much easier to work with and I very rarely lose tips.
I did this video to help explain my process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js_lPwZ0vzc&list=UU7iD_SaHVEOTBgfzexaicBw

Regardless of what glue you use, it is vitally important to clean the tips of all oil or grease before gluing them on the shaft. No glue will stick to an oily tip.

Guy

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:51:46 pm »
I agree on the epoxy. The way I clean a tip is to wrap sand paper around a point tapered piece of arrow shaft, insert the shaft in the point and twist a few times, in seconds you are down to bare metal. Tap out the dust and you are ready to glue on the point.

Lots of folk jump through a bunch of hoops with solvents and such cleaning out a point, sandpaper is much quicker and easier.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:53 pm »
I like the idea of using sandpaper to clean the point.
The solvents I use work well but they are kind of a pain in the rear. I'll give sandpaper a try.
Thanks, Eric.

Guy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:46:35 pm »
I quit using the craft hot melt because it wasn't holding strong and switched back to Ferril tite. I do as Eric does with sandpaper and all is well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline warpath

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:43:29 pm »
I agree with Pearlie. Ferril tite is all I use anymore. Even though I don't have any issues with losing points, going to try the sandpaper thing. Thanks Eric!! :)

G

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:32 am »
I use a torch head on an 1lb. propane bottle when installing points. Have never done the "cleaning out" thing on field points, but I do run the torch flame down the hole before installing, have never had a problem with ferrale-tight. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:53:09 am »
Ferrell tight and I clean them out with brake clean just in case there is some oil left from machining them out. I heat the glue and wipe a little on the shaft, let that set then heat the tip and put it on, make sure it is true and hold in place for a few seconds until it sets. I get the point hot but try not to get it to hot so it pushes all the glue out.  :) Don't usually have a problem. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:14 pm »
I clean the points real good, like Eric, and then I use Gorilla gel super glue.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.