Author Topic: squirrel arrows  (Read 8790 times)

Offline Aaron H

squirrel arrows
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:24:35 am »
I am wanting to hunt some squirrels with one of my osage bows, but I need some ideas on what some of you guys are using.  Please post some pictures of your favorite designs.
 Thanks,
Aaron

Offline burchett.donald

Re: squirrel arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:13:00 am »
  Check out the small game sticky at the top of the page...Have fun
                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:07 am »
Aaron, the simplest but every bit effective is a "nutter". All it is is a 3/8" hex nut threaded on the point taper. I put a drop of super glue at the nut and on the taper(for strength). The taper gives a little penetration and the nut adds the shock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:05:50 pm »
Yea, thanks guys.  Sorry, I didn't notice the obvious header until after I posted this.  Thanks anyways for the replies.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 02:07:13 pm »
Whereas squirrels live in trees, it might be a good idea to glue on like six feathers, so your arrow will brake faster and you don't have to search for it like crazy. (provided you didn't hit the squirrel).

Regards,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »
Read a good article in one of my magazines and some people use blunts others use field point flu-flu arrows.  And others use regular arrows having field points if hunting them on the ground.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »
Yea, I have a giant oak tree in my backyard with acorns EVERYWHERE, I was just going to hunt them off the ground. I was thinking about just using field tips, but I saw on here someone was attaching deer antler as blunts.  I like the idea of that, course I like to be as primitive as possible within reason.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »
Do use Fluflus if you are shooting up in the tree. It will limit the travel distance by a good amount making it safer but it will still be effective. A full length feather spiral wrapped around the shaft makes a good, simple fluflu for close range shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 02:34:45 pm »
My Fluflus are so slow the squirrels dodge them so I don't use them for squirrels just bugs bunny
bone broad heads are nice but also have some garage sale broad-heads that I use , but only shoot on the ground
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 02:51:29 pm »
I wounded and lost a few squirrels using blunt tips. I use regular field tips now and only shoot them on the ground. Old broad heads are good to. Squirrels are mean and sometimes a blunt just spins them in circles and breaks a bone or two, then they climb a tree with one leg and die in a hole. Hate that...............
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 03:08:45 pm »
Yea, here is the bunny/squirrel blunt flu flu that I just made.  But I guess I do agree with PD and all the others, I hate to just wound a squirrel or any other animal for that matter.  We do owe it to the animals we hunt, to kill them as quickly and humanely as we can. Although it's nice to have this flu flu, I believe I will just hunt from the ground with my field tips.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 03:33:07 pm »
I think blunts can work fine if you head shoot. Im not that good of a shot!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »
Yea, here is the bunny/squirrel blunt flu flu that I just made.  But I guess I do agree with PD and all the others, I hate to just wound a squirrel or any other animal for that matter.  We do owe it to the animals we hunt, to kill them as quickly and humanely as we can. Although it's nice to have this flu flu, I believe I will just hunt from the ground with my field tips.
I hear what you say about  "to kill them as quickly and humanely as we can"   thats why building my own arrows is cheap especially if I get the wood for free.  Its no biggy to loose 1/2 dozen regular arrows and if you do hit them with a clean shot, you know it's dead.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 06:36:36 pm »
That's why I like a "nutter". With a 1/4" of the taper tip sticking out for some penetration and the nut for blunt force it has worked better than any other small game point I've used. I've had Judo points bounce off of a squirrel's back(dead center) from 10 yards and the squirrel ran up the tree.  I shot a squirrel that was 40' up in a tree with the "nutter" and he was dead when he hit the ground.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 09:48:36 pm »
I have found that judo points are great for stump shooting, but I have lost squirrels and pheasants using judo points. Pat's nutter sounds great.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.