Author Topic: Current project ... tiller review  (Read 8263 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Current project ... tiller review
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 03:37:11 pm »
Now that's a bow Mr Mike
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 04:09:43 pm »
Do you have an unbraced picture? To my inexperienced eye it looks like the outer third could bend some more. Am I wrong or is there some reflex that would explain it? Not criticizing, just trying to learn something.
Thanks

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 07:29:49 pm »
DC, look at the braced pic, the tips curve up. Usually the last 5-6" are stiff
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 07:38:21 pm »
Yep, glued-on recurve tips.  But I've been working outer third a bit too.

Thanks, ya'll.  Am now at 27" and, after few more scraping sessions, will be ready for the last inch.  Been holding my breath.

Slingshots are alot easier!   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 07:44:03 pm »
U could probly shoot in that last inch
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 08:35:06 pm »
OK Thanks. I'll get this, you just wait ;D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
Done!  38 @ 28.  Hoping for decent day tomorrow so can put some arrows through it. 
In coming days may post some closeups of areas (like nocks) where would like to do sumpin different but don't really have a clue re "how to".
Thanks, again, fellas for taking the time to post your thoughts.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 11:27:33 pm »
That's a good looking tiller, good job. 

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 08:34:22 am »
Looks good Michael, nice work.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 11:47:46 am »
 Nice work Knoll, +2 on what Blaflair2 said...Be sure and post all the finished pictures, me like pictures ;)
                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »

I see what DC was saying, but I agree with everybody else that it ain't broke.  If you divide the limb into quarters, he could MAYBE have put just a LITTLE more bend in from 1/2 way out, to 3/4 out, and a little less in the first half, because it's side tapering there.

But, if it came in at weight, doesn't have bad set, and shoots, it's better than many bows I have called finished! 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 02:52:02 pm »
... put just a LITTLE more bend in from 1/2 way out, to 3/4 out, ...

I don't disagree and will address that area after shootin' a bunch of arrows.  Thanks!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »
Here's a few pics after bunch of arrows, but no further tillering.  Got 1 inch of set immediately after unstringing.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2014, 08:20:11 pm »
Look's very good! Nice work! 8)
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 03:40:05 am »
Knoll, Excellent job, 1" of set on a 63" bow @ 28" is very acceptable...Did you heat temper the belly?
                                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;